Need Help with DIVs within DIV containers. [SOLVED]

J2913

Hello, I just started learning a few weeks ago. I need help with this webpage. I'm having trouble understanding how DIVs work, and how to code them in order to position them properly in relation to different browser sizes.

I need help moving the 3rd box "TESTING TESTING" on the right side of the "The Parables of Jesus" column.

The green background is my container div and I'm only using it as a skeleton for positioning.

My ultimate goal is to move the "TESTING TESTING" column on the right side of "The Parables of Jesus" and after that I will change width and height to match the rest of the remaining green container, and paste the content there.

PROBLEM:

I do not know how to do this.

I need the slightly opaque white background to be fixed while the rest of the content scrolls down using (overflow: scroll;)

I tried using float: left. —> it confused me and it didn't result in what I was hoping for.

Basically, Im very lacking in the understanding and mechanics of a DIV container and more DIV contents inside the container.

HTML

<!DOCTYPE HTML><html lang="en-US"><head><title>Div Container</title><link rel="stylesheet" href="Testingindex.css"><meta charset='utf-8'></head> <body>   <div class="container">    <!--Top DIV--><div class="toptitle">J2913</div> <!--Left DIV--><div class="leftcontent"><h2><center>The Parables of Jesus</center></h2><ol><li><a href="#New Cloth unto an Old Garment">New Cloth unto an Old Garment</a></li><li><a href="#New Wine in Old Bottles">New Wine in Old Bottles</a></li><li><a href="#Light on a Candlestick">Light on a Candlestick</a></li><li><a href="#Wise and Foolish Builders">Wise and Foolish Builders</a></li><li><a href="#Creditor Forgives Unequal Debts">Creditor Forgives Unequal Debts</a></li><li><a href="#Affliction of the Affluent">Affliction of the Affluent</a></li><li><a href="#Servants Must Remain Watchful">Servants Must Remain Watchful</a></li><li><a href="#Faithful and Wise Servant">Faithful and Wise Servant</a></li><li><a href="#Barren Fig Tree">Barren Fig Tree</a></li></ol></div> <div class="rightcontent"> TESTING TESTING</div>  "estingMark 13:35-37—"Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning: Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping. And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch." Luke 12:35-40—"Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning; And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately. Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them. And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants. And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through. Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not."  Barren Fig Tree Luke 13:6-9—"He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year a  "estingMark 13:35-37—"Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning: Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping. And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch." Luke 12:35-40—"Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning; And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately. Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them. And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants. And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through. Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not." </div></body> <footer></footer></html>
html {        background: url(Autumn.jpg) no-repeat center center fixed;        -webkit-background-size: cover;       -moz-background-size: cover;       -o-background-size: cover;       background-size: cover;} body { margin: 0px;border: 0px;padding: 0px;} .container {        max-width: 1150px;        max-height: 956px;         left: 50%;        top: 50%;                 margin: 0 auto;        background-color: green;        } .toptitle {    width: 1150px;    height: 1em;    line-height: 1em;       background-color: rgba(255,255,255,0.8);    position: fixed;     text-align: center;    font-size: 20px;     float: left;  } .leftcontent {    width: 275px;    height: 935px;     background-color:rgba(255,255,255,0.8);    position: fixed;     top:21px;     float: left;     clear: both;} .rightcontent {    width: 874px;     background-color:rgba(255,255,255,0.8);    position: fixed;     top:21px;}
Edited by J2913

Here is another similar webpage I made before this one. Its basically the exact same thing except Im hoping to have all the components in a container in the middle of the page relative to the browser size.

I figured it out. Thanks though!

<!DOCTYPE HTML><html lang="en-US"><head><title>DIV</title><link rel="stylesheet" href="DIV.css"><meta charset='utf-8'></head> <body><div class="parent"><div class="childtop">J2913</div>  <div class="childleft"><h2><center>The Parables of Jesus</center></h2><ol><li><a href="#New Cloth unto an Old Garment">New Cloth unto an Old Garment</a></li><li><a href="#New Wine in Old Bottles">New Wine in Old Bottles</a></li><li><a href="#Light on a Candlestick">Light on a Candlestick</a></li><li><a href="#Wise and Foolish Builders">Wise and Foolish Builders</a></li><li><a href="#Creditor Forgives Unequal Debts">Creditor Forgives Unequal Debts</a></li><li><a href="#Affliction of the Affluent">Affliction of the Affluent</a></li><li><a href="#Servants Must Remain Watchful">Servants Must Remain Watchful</a></li><li><a href="#Faithful and Wise Servant">Faithful and Wise Servant</a></li><li><a href="#Barren Fig Tree">Barren Fig Tree</a></li></ol></div>  <div class="childright"><h3 id="New Cloth unto an Old Garment">New Cloth unto an Old Garment</h3><ul><li>Matthew 9:16—"No man putteth a piece of new cloth unto an old garment, for that which is put in to fill it up taketh from the garment, and the rent is made worse."</li><br> <li>Mark 2:21—"No man also seweth a piece of new cloth on an old garment: else the new piece that filled it up taketh away from the old, and the rent is made worse."</li><br> <li>Luke 5:36—"And he spake also a parable unto them; No man putteth a piece of a new garment upon an old; if otherwise, then both the new maketh a rent, and the piece that was taken out of the new agreeth not with the old."</li><br></ul> <h3 id="New Wine in Old Bottles">New Wine in Old Bottles</h3><ul><li>Matthew 9:17—"Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved."</li><br> <li>Mark 2:22—"And no man putteth new wine into old bottles: else the new wine doth burst the bottles, and the wine is spilled, and the bottles will be marred: but new wine must be put into new bottles."</li><br> <li>Luke 5:37-38—"And no man putteth new wine into old bottles; else the new wine will burst the bottles, and be spilled, and the bottles shall perish. But new wine must be put into new bottles; and both are preserved."</li><br></ul> <h3 id="Light on a Candlestick">Light on a Candlestick</h3><ul><li>Matthew 5:14-15—"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house."</li><br><li>Mark 4:21-22—"And he said unto them, Is a candle brought to be put under a bushel, or under a bed? and not to be set on a candlestick? For there is nothing hid, which shall not be manifested; neither was any thing kept secret, but that it should come abroad."</li><br><li>Luke 8:16—"No man, when he hath lighted a candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the light."</li><br><li>Luke 11:33—"No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light."</li><br></ul> <h3 id="Wise and Foolish Builders">Wise and Foolish Builders</h3><ul><li>Matthew 7:24-27—"Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it."</li><br><li>Luke 6:47-49—"Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great."</li><br></ul> <h3 id="Creditor Forgives Unequal Debts">Creditor Forgives Unequal Debts</h3><ul><li>Luke 7:41-43—"There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty. And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most? Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged."</li><br></ul> <h3 id="Affliction of the Affluent">Affliction of the Affluent</h3><ul><li>Luke 12:16-21—"And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."</li><br></ul> <h3 id="Servants Must Remain Watchful">Servants Must Remain Watchful</h3><ul><li>Mark 13:35-37—"Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning: Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping. And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch."</li><br><li>Luke 12:35-40—"Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning; And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately. Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them. And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants. And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through. Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not."</li><br></ul> <h3 id="Faithful and Wise Servant">Faithful and Wise Servant</h3><ul><li>Matthew 24:45-51—"Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season? Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods. But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken; The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of, And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."</li><br><li>Luke 12:42-48—"And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season? Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath. But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken; The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more."</li><br></ul> <h3 id="Barren Fig Tree">Barren Fig Tree</h3><ul><li>Luke 13:6-9—"He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down."</li><br></ul></div> <div class="childbottom">Footer here</div><div>    </body> </html>

html {background: url(Autumn.jpg) no-repeat center center fixed;} body { margin: 0px;border: 0px;padding: 0px;} .parent {  width: 1000px;  height: 956px;  margin: 0 auto;  position: relative;} .childtop {  width: 1000px;  height: 1em;  line-height: 1em;    background-color:rgba(255,255,255,0.8);  position:fixed;  margin: 0 auto;   font-size:18px;  text-align: center;} .childleft {width: 275px;height: 921px;  background-color:rgba(255,255,255,0.8);position: fixed;margin-top: 19px;margin-left: 0px;} .childright {width: 704px;height: 921px;background-color:rgba(255,255,255,0.8);position: fixed;margin-top: 19px;margin-left: 276px; padding-right: 10px;padding-left: 10px; overflow:scroll;} .childbottom {width: 1000px;height: 1em;line-height: 1em; background-color:rgba(255,255,255,0.8);position: fixed;margin-top: 941px; font-size: 15px;text-align: center;}
Edited by J2913

@davej

So is this a good use of floats?

html {background: url(Autumn.jpg) no-repeat center center fixed;} body { margin: 0px;border: 0px;padding: 0px;} .container {  width: 1000px;  height: 956px;  margin: 0 auto;} .top {  width: 100%;  height: 1em;  line-height: 1em;  margin-bottom: 1px;     background-color:rgba(255,255,255,0.8);  float: left;   font-size:18px;  text-align: center;} .left {width: 275px;  height: 922px;  margin-right: 1px;   background-color:rgba(255,255,255,0.8);  float: left;  } .right {  width: 704px;  height: 922px;   background-color:rgba(255,255,255,0.8);  float: left;   padding-right: 10px;  padding-left: 10px;   overflow:scroll;} /*Right: Parable Title*/.right h1 {  margin: 0px;  border: 0px;  padding: 0px;     font-size: 28px;    font-family: Georgia;}  /*Right: Parable Verse*/.right h2 {    margin: 0px;  border: 0px;  padding: 0px;   font-size: 18px;  font-family: Georgia;} /*Right: Parable Verse Content*/.right p {    margin: 0px;    margin-left: 21px;   border: 0px;  padding: 0px;   font-family: Georgia;  }   .bottom {  width: 100%;  height: 1em;  line-height: 1em;  margin-top: 1px;     background-color:rgba(255,255,255,0.8);  float: left;   font-size: 15px;  text-align: center; }
Edited by J2913

Yeah, Dsonesuk is right about the id's. They can't contain spaces. You don't seem to use them anyway. For float you only float the blocks that you need to, so you would not float your top or bottom divs. Also you need to end a floated section with clear. The way to learn this topic is to experiment. See...

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_float.asp

@dsonesuk: Can you please explain further what you just said. I do not understand what you mean. May you please give me an example and an example solution. Also is the html validator for just checking it? What is it's purpose?

@davej: Thanks for the tip, I'll work on that.

Thanks for helping me out, I'm extremely new at these things.

Here is my current html.

<!DOCTYPE HTML><html lang="en-US"><head><title>J2913</title><link rel="stylesheet" href="J2913.css"><meta charset='utf-8'></head> <body> <div class="container">  <div class="top">J2913</div>  <div class="left"><h2><center>The Parables of Jesus</center></h2><ol><li><a href="#New Cloth unto an Old Garment">New Cloth unto an Old Garment</a></li><li><a href="#New Wine in Old Bottles">New Wine in Old Bottles</a></li><li><a href="#Light on a Candlestick">Light on a Candlestick</a></li><li><a href="#Wise and Foolish Builders">Wise and Foolish Builders</a></li><li><a href="#Creditor Forgives Unequal Debts">Creditor Forgives Unequal Debts</a></li><li><a href="#Affliction of the Affluent">Affliction of the Affluent</a></li><li><a href="#Servants Must Remain Watchful">Servants Must Remain Watchful</a></li><li><a href="#Faithful and Wise Servant">Faithful and Wise Servant</a></li><li><a href="#Barren Fig Tree">Barren Fig Tree</a></li><li><a href="#Sower and Four Types of Soil">Sower and Four Types of Soil</a></ol></div>  <div class="right"><h1 id="New Cloth unto an Old Garment">New Cloth unto an Old Garment</h1><ul><li><h2>Matthew 9:16</h2><br><p>No man putteth a piece of new cloth unto an old garment, for that which is put in to fill it up taketh from the garment, and the rent is made worse.</p></li><br><li><h2>Mark 2:21</h2><br><p>No man also seweth a piece of new cloth on an old garment: else the new piece that filled it up taketh away from the old, and the rent is made worse.</p></li><br><li><h2>Luke 5:36</h2><br><p>And he spake also a parable unto them; No man putteth a piece of a new garment upon an old; if otherwise, then both the new maketh a rent, and the piece that was taken out of the new agreeth not with the old.</p></li><br><br></ul> <h1 id="New Wine in Old Bottles">New Wine in Old Bottles</h1><ul><li><h2>Matthew 9:17</h2><br><p>Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.</p></li><br><li><h2>Mark 2:22</h2><br><p>And no man putteth new wine into old bottles: else the new wine doth burst the bottles, and the wine is spilled, and the bottles will be marred: but new wine must be put into new bottles.</p></li><br><li><h2>Luke 5:37-38</h2><br><p>And no man putteth new wine into old bottles; else the new wine will burst the bottles, and be spilled, and the bottles shall perish.<br><br> But new wine must be put into new bottles; and both are preserved.</p></li><br><br></ul> <h1 id="Light on a Candlestick">Light on a Candlestick</h1><ul><li><h2>Matthew 5:14-15</h2><br><p>Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.<br><br> Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.</p></li><br><li><h2>Mark 4:21-22</h2><br><p>And he said unto them, Is a candle brought to be put under a bushel, or under a bed? and not to be set on a candlestick?<br><br> For there is nothing hid, which shall not be manifested; neither was any thing kept secret, but that it should come abroad.</p></li><br><li><h2>Luke 8:16</h2><br><p>No man, when he hath lighted a candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the light.</p></li><br><li><h2>Luke 11:33</h2><br><p>No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light.</p></li><br><br></ul> <h1 id="Wise and Foolish Builders">Wise and Foolish Builders</h1><ul><li><h2>Matthew 7:24-27</h2><br><p>Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:<br><br> And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.<br><br> And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:<br><br> And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.</p></li><br><li><h2>Luke 6:47-49</h2><br><p>Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:<br><br> He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.<br><br> But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.</p></li><br><br></ul> <h1 id="Creditor Forgives Unequal Debts">Creditor Forgives Unequal Debts</h1><ul><li><h2>Luke 7:41-43</h2><br><p>There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.<br><br> And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?<br><br> Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.</p> </li><br><br></ul> <h1 id="Affliction of the Affluent">Affliction of the Affluent</h1><ul><li><h2>Luke 12:16-21</h2><br><p>And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:<br><br> And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?<br><br> And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.<br><br> And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.<br><br> But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?<br><br> So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.</p></li><br><br></ul> <h1 id="Servants Must Remain Watchful">Servants Must Remain Watchful</h1><ul><li><h2>Mark 13:35-37</h2><br><p>Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning:<br><br> Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping.<br><br> And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.</p></li><br><li><h2>Luke 12:35-40</h2><br><p>Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning;<br><br> And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately.<br><br> Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.<br><br> And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.<br><br> And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through.<br><br> Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.</p></li><br><br></ul> <h1 id="Faithful and Wise Servant">Faithful and Wise Servant</h1><ul><li><h2>Matthew 24:45-51</h2><br><p>Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?<br><br> Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.<br><br> Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.<br><br> But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;<br><br> And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;<br><br> The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,<br><br> And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.</p></li><br><li><h2>Luke 12:42-48</h2><br><p>And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?<br><br> Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.<br><br> Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath.<br><br> But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;<br><br> The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.<br><br> And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.<br><br> But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.</p></li><br><br></ul> <h1 id="Barren Fig Tree">Barren Fig Tree</h1><ul><li><h2>Luke 13:6-9</h2><br><p>He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.<br><br> Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?<br><br> And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:<br><br> And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.</p></li><br><br></ul> <h1 id="Sower and Four Types of Soil">Sower and Four Types of Soil</h1><ul><li><h2>Matthew 13:3-8</h2><br><p>And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;<br><br> And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:<br><br> Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:<br><br> And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.<br><br> And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:<br><br> But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.</p></li><br><li><h2>Matthew 13:18-23</h2><br><p>Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.<br><br> When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.<br><br> But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;<br><br> Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.<br><br> He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.<br><br> But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.</p></li><br><li><h2>Mark 4:3-8</h2><br><p>Hearken; Behold, there went out a sower to sow:<br><br> And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up.<br><br>  And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth; and immediately it sprang up, because it had no depth of earth:<br><br> But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away.<br><br> And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up, and choked it, and it yielded no fruit.<br><br>  And other fell on good ground, and did yield fruit that sprang up and increased; and brought forth, some thirty, and some sixty, and some an hundred.</p></li><br><li><h2>Mark 4:14-20</h2><br><p>The sower soweth the word.<br><br> And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts.<br><br> And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness;<br><br> And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended.<br><br> And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word,<br><br> And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.<br><br> And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive it, and bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred.</p></li><br><li><h2>Luke 8:5-8</h2><br><p>A sower went out to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it.<br><br> And some fell upon a rock; and as soon as it was sprung up, it withered away, because it lacked moisture. And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it.<br><br> And other fell on good ground, and sprang up, and bare fruit an hundredfold. And when he had said these things, he cried, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.</p></li><br><li><h2>Luke 8:11-15</h2><br><p>Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.<br><br> Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.<br><br> They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.<br><br> And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.<br><br> But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.</p></li><br></ul></div>  <div class="bottom">Footer Here</div> </div> </body>  </html>

@dsonesuk

So what you are saying regarding the ID is that instead of

<a href="#New Wine in Old Bottles">New Wine in Old Bottles</a><h1 id="New Wine in Old Bottles">New Wine in Old Bottles</h1> It should be <a href="#a123>New Wine in Old Bottles</a><h1 id="a123">New Wine in Old Bottles</h1> 

???

You could do this:

<a href="#New-Wine-in-Old-Bottles">New Wine in Old Bottles</a><h1 id="New-Wine-in-Old-Bottles">New Wine in Old Bottles</h1>

or this:

<a href="#New_Wine_in_Old_Bottles">New Wine in Old Bottles</a><h1 id="New_Wine_in_Old_Bottles">New Wine in Old Bottles</h1>

I fixed the br's and Id's here is current html and css.

QUESTION: What authority does the w3 validator have? Why is it best to validate html on it?

HTML

<!DOCTYPE HTML><html lang="en-US"><head><title>J2913</title><link rel="stylesheet" href="J2913.css"><meta charset='utf-8'></head> <body> <div class="container">  <div class="top">J2913</div>  <div class="left"><h1>The Parables of Jesus</h1><ol><li><a href="#a1">New Cloth unto an Old Garment</a></li><li><a href="#a2">New Wine in Old Bottles</a></li><li><a href="#a3">Light on a Candlestick</a></li><li><a href="#a4">Wise and Foolish Builders</a></li><li><a href="#a5">Creditor Forgives Unequal Debts</a></li><li><a href="#a6">Affliction of the Affluent</a></li><li><a href="#a7">Servants Must Remain Watchful</a></li><li><a href="#a8">Faithful and Wise Servant</a></li><li><a href="#a9">Barren Fig Tree</a></li><li><a href="#a10">Sower and Four Types of Soil</a></ol></div>  <div class="right"><h1 id="a1">New Cloth unto an Old Garment</h1><ul><li><h2>Matthew 9:16</h2><p>No man putteth a piece of new cloth unto an old garment, for that which is put in to fill it up taketh from the garment, and the rent is made worse.</p></li><li><h2>Mark 2:21</h2><p>No man also seweth a piece of new cloth on an old garment: else the new piece that filled it up taketh away from the old, and the rent is made worse.</p></li><li><h2>Luke 5:36</h2><p>And he spake also a parable unto them; No man putteth a piece of a new garment upon an old; if otherwise, then both the new maketh a rent, and the piece that was taken out of the new agreeth not with the old.</p></li></ul> <h1 id="a2">New Wine in Old Bottles</h1><ul><li><h2>Matthew 9:17</h2><p>Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.</p></li><li><h2>Mark 2:22</h2><p>And no man putteth new wine into old bottles: else the new wine doth burst the bottles, and the wine is spilled, and the bottles will be marred: but new wine must be put into new bottles.</p></li><li><h2>Luke 5:37-38</h2><p>And no man putteth new wine into old bottles; else the new wine will burst the bottles, and be spilled, and the bottles shall perish.<br><br> But new wine must be put into new bottles; and both are preserved.</p></li></ul> <h1 id="a3">Light on a Candlestick</h1><ul><li><h2>Matthew 5:14-15</h2><p>Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.<br><br> Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.</p></li><li><h2>Mark 4:21-22</h2><p>And he said unto them, Is a candle brought to be put under a bushel, or under a bed? and not to be set on a candlestick?<br><br> For there is nothing hid, which shall not be manifested; neither was any thing kept secret, but that it should come abroad.</p></li><li><h2>Luke 8:16</h2><p>No man, when he hath lighted a candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the light.</p></li><li><h2>Luke 11:33</h2><p>No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light.</p></li></ul> <h1 id="a4">Wise and Foolish Builders</h1><ul><li><h2>Matthew 7:24-27</h2><p>Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:<br><br> And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.<br><br> And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:<br><br> And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.</p></li><li><h2>Luke 6:47-49</h2><p>Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:<br><br> He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.<br><br> But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.</p></li></ul> <h1 id="a5">Creditor Forgives Unequal Debts</h1><ul><li><h2>Luke 7:41-43</h2><p>There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.<br><br> And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?<br><br> Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.</p> </li></ul> <h1 id="a6">Affliction of the Affluent</h1><ul><li><h2>Luke 12:16-21</h2><p>And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:<br><br> And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?<br><br> And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.<br><br> And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.<br><br> But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?<br><br> So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.</p></li></ul> <h1 id="a7">Servants Must Remain Watchful</h1><ul><li><h2>Mark 13:35-37</h2><p>Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning:<br><br> Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping.<br><br> And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.</p></li><li><h2>Luke 12:35-40</h2><p>Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning;<br><br> And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately.<br><br> Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.<br><br> And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.<br><br> And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through.<br><br> Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.</p></li></ul> <h1 id="a8">Faithful and Wise Servant</h1><ul><li><h2>Matthew 24:45-51</h2><p>Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?<br><br> Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.<br><br> Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.<br><br> But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;<br><br> And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;<br><br> The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,<br><br> And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.</p></li><li><h2>Luke 12:42-48</h2><p>And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?<br><br> Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.<br><br> Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath.<br><br> But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;<br><br> The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.<br><br> And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.<br><br> But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.</p></li></ul> <h1 id="a9">Barren Fig Tree</h1><ul><li><h2>Luke 13:6-9</h2><p>He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.<br><br> Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?<br><br> And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:<br><br> And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.</p></li></ul> <h1 id="a10">Sower and Four Types of Soil</h1><ul><li><h2>Matthew 13:3-8</h2><p>And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;<br><br> And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:<br><br> Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:<br><br> And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.<br><br> And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:<br><br> But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.</p></li><li><h2>Matthew 13:18-23</h2><p>Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.<br><br> When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.<br><br> But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;<br><br> Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.<br><br> He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.<br><br> But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.</p></li><li><h2>Mark 4:3-8</h2><p>Hearken; Behold, there went out a sower to sow:<br><br> And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up.<br><br>  And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth; and immediately it sprang up, because it had no depth of earth:<br><br> But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away.<br><br> And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up, and choked it, and it yielded no fruit.<br><br>  And other fell on good ground, and did yield fruit that sprang up and increased; and brought forth, some thirty, and some sixty, and some an hundred.</p></li><li><h2>Mark 4:14-20</h2><p>The sower soweth the word.<br><br> And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts.<br><br> And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness;<br><br> And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended.<br><br> And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word,<br><br> And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.<br><br> And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive it, and bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred.</p></li><li><h2>Luke 8:5-8</h2><p>A sower went out to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it.<br><br> And some fell upon a rock; and as soon as it was sprung up, it withered away, because it lacked moisture. And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it.<br><br> And other fell on good ground, and sprang up, and bare fruit an hundredfold. And when he had said these things, he cried, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.</p></li><li><h2>Luke 8:11-15</h2><p>Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.<br><br> Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.<br><br> They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.<br><br> And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.<br><br> But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.</p></li></ul></div>  <div class="bottom">Footer here</div> </div> </body>  </html>

CSS

html {background: url(Autumn.jpg) no-repeat center center fixed;} body { margin: 0px;border: 0px;padding: 0px;} .container {  width: 1000px;  height: 956px;  margin: 0 auto;} .top {  width: 100%;  height: 1em;  line-height: 1em;  margin-bottom: 1px;     background-color:rgba(255,255,255,0.8);  float: left;   font-size:18px;  text-align: center;   clear:both;} .left {width: 275px;  height: 922px;  margin-right: 1px;   background-color:rgba(255,255,255,0.8);  float: left;} .left h1 {  margin: 0px;  border: 0px;  padding: 0px;  line-height: 1em;   font-size: 24px;  font-family: Georgia;  text-align: center; } .right {  width: 704px;  height: 922px;   background-color:rgba(255,255,255,0.8);  float: left;   padding-right: 10px;  padding-left: 10px;   overflow:scroll;} /*Right: Parable Title*/.right h1 {  margin: 0px;  border: 0px;  padding: 0px;  line-height: 1em;   font-size: 28px;  font-family: Georgia;}  /*Right: Parable Verse*/.right h2 {  margin: 0px;  border: 0px;  padding: 0px;  line-height: 1em;   font-size: 18px;  font-family: Georgia;} /*Right: Parable Verse Content*/.right p {  margin-top: 7px;  margin-left: 21px;  margin-bottom: 15px;  line-height: 1.25em;   border: 0px;  padding: 0px;   font-family: Georgia;  }   .bottom {  width: 100%;  height: 1em;  line-height: 1em;  margin-top: 1px;     background-color:rgba(255,255,255,0.8);  float: left;   font-size: 15px;  text-align: center; }
Edited by J2913

The W3C validator is owned by the W3C. They created HTML, so I'm quite sure they know which HTML is correct or not. They are the one authority when it comes to HTML.

• Like 1