Animated GIF Rollovers

Chocolate570

I've always wondered---would it be possible to implement javascript into a page, so that when a user mouses over an image, javascript would cause the image to do the following:1. Change in SRC to a animated gif.2. Wait x seconds where x is the length of the gif3. Change the image to a rolled-over imageWould this be possible if we knew how long the gif took to run, if the image were preloaded, and the browser had animated gifs enabled?What do you guys think?

What do you guys think?
Yes, when the user mouses over a image call a function that changes it's src to an animated gif and use setTimeOut()_ to change it to a rollover after it the animation has ended :) Flash? who needs flash :)

Flash is disabled more over the browser population than javascript. I'd rather have, say, a 100 people not access my web page than a million. (not exact figures)That's what I was thinking. Can anyone find any impracticalities about this suggestion? (did i spell that right?):)

I have flash disabled on y browser at work. For some reason flash and animated gif run slowly over our network. Doesn't make sense.Anyway I am not a flash fan anyways...except for miniclip.com :)

Like Scott says, i have the idea and base on how it would work, since it's not difficult at all as long as you have the correct data. What I'm asking for is if anyone can find any downsides about this idea. I don't want to implement it if doing CSS/javascript regular image rollovers have less cons.