SSI at home

ferren

http://evoligion.wordpress.com works reasonably well with SSI files for features common to several pages. I want to edit it off line, at home, on my own machine.

The problem is that I haven't found a way to call the SSI files.

I get conflicting advice from the web. 'Can't be done!'; gobbledegook code in strange languages, assuming that I am the mythical system administrator to whom one is so often referred; wild guesses.

This seems like a universally useful process which should be implemented in a trivial manner, as simple as whistling for any other URL.

What am I missing?

Yes--but if I am making a global change I would like to be able to work on a new set of 25 chapter off line, get them all working, and THEN upload them. Why can't I get at SSI files on my own computer?

Example: my intrachapter navigation arrows--may be 25 sets in a chapter, worked on large screens but are too close together for small screens and finger tips. This leaves me with 1200 fiddly changes to make (can't use grep here). I'd prefer to swap in 25 working chapters after they have all been tested off line.

davej, I have ~3750 corrections to make and check. This goes a lot faster if I don't have to check them by uploading 100k files each time. I want to be able to see the result immediately. Following dsonesuk's clue, I think this means installing LAMP (Linux, Apache, MariaSQL, PHP) on my computer. I was hoping there might be an easier approach. (Got the L, sort of, but it and its computer are new and not entirely tamed.)

On the other hand, in November I'll be at home with a couple of Macs with Apache and familiar OS X built in. Might this be a better starting point?