divinedesigns1

ok so i have been getting this problem for the pass year or so, please be advice it was two issues before and i have resolve 1/2 issues.

my last issues is base on making sure that the format of the image or file matches with those i wish to be uploaded.

// this is the formats$allowed = array('png', 'jpg', 'jpeg', 'gif');// if the format doesnt match display thisif($ptype == $allowed){                    $errors[] = 'This format isnt allow</br>Accepted formats are as followed: PNG, JPG, JPEG, GIF';}             

i also tried this just to make sure i wasnt doing anything wrong

if($ptype != $allowed){                    $errors[] = 'This format isnt allow</br>Accepted formats are as followed: PNG, JPG, JPEG, GIF';                }else($ptype == $allowed){                    $errors[] = 'ok';                }

i still ended up with the same issues, which by pass the statement and allowed the format anyway.

AS ALWAYS any tips, hint, or advice will do

• Like 1

You are comparing $ptype (which should be one of the four IN array) with a ARRAY? NOT the items IN the array, in_array() is what you are looking for http://www.w3schools.com/php/func_array_in_array.asp.

Edit: hope you have allowed for uppercase JPG etc, and also jpg comes in jpeg, jpe as well.

thanks, didnt know about the jpe

???????? Why have repeated in another topic?

i forgot i made this topic

???????? Why have repeated in another topic?

ok, so im using the in_array() dont i have to use it against the variable im checking for?

You are looking for something like this

$ptype = "JPG";        $errors = array();        //$ptype = "bmp"; //test by uncommenting// this is the formats        $allowed = array('png', 'jpg', 'jpeg', 'jpe', 'gif');// if the format doesnt match display this        if (!in_array(strtolower($ptype), $allowed)) {            $errors[] = '<br>This format isnt allow</br>Accepted formats are as followed: PNG, JPG, JPEG, JPE, GIF';        }        foreach ($errors as $error) {            echo $error;        }
Edited by dsonesuk

You are looking for something like this

$ptype = "JPG";        $errors = array();        //$ptype = "bmp"; //test by uncommenting// this is the formats        $allowed = array('png', 'jpg', 'jpeg', 'jpe', 'gif');// if the format doesnt match display this        if (!in_array(strtolower($ptype), $allowed)) {            $errors[] = '<br>This format isnt allow</br>Accepted formats are as followed: PNG, JPG, JPEG, JPE, GIF';        }        foreach ($errors as $error) {            echo $error;        }

so that should work even with this

$ptype = $_FILES['imgs']['type'];

If $ptype matches what is in the array yes, if not you have make what is in array matches what $_FILES['imgs']['type']; returns.

thats the thing, i tried that and it still doesnt give out the correct respond

So, what are you doing to figure out the problem? Are you verifying anything at all or just trying to guess why it doesn't work?

actually i went around a few ways to figure out $ptype is holding any value, also i echo out $ptype, i used the $allowed array to select each value one by one $allowed[0], etc.

i have even tried the foreach()

different if statements and now im about to do var_dump and print_r

And if you print the value you're checking, and the values in the array, what do you find?

getting a boolean of false once i upload a jpg, etc but boolean of true once i upload a txt or doc file

when i var_dump() the $ptype i get this once i try to upload a doc or txt file

string 'application/octet-stream' (length=24)

and i get this once i try to upload the correct file

string 'image/gif' (length=9)

so im not sure how the file isnt being stopped once i try to compare it to the array

Edited by DDs1

you are checking mime type against extension, 'image/gif' is mime type you need to use pathinfo($target_file,PATHINFO_EXTENSION); to retrieve extension as used here http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_file_upload.asp

wooot wooot it working :) thank you guys,

dsonesuk and justsomeguy

you are checking mime type against extension, 'image/gif' is mime type you need to use pathinfo($target_file,PATHINFO_EXTENSION); to retrieve extension as used here http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_file_upload.asp

wooot wooot it working :) thank you guys,

dsonesuk and justsomeguy