Why doesn't this work.

studsm

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this code that it doesn't work? the table generates fine but the background color doesn't change when I click on the td cells

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<style>
table, td, tr{margin: 0 auto; border: 1px solid black; border-collapse: collapse; background-color: #f1f1c1; padding: 5px;}
table{width: 40%; table-layout: fixed;}
td{height: 30px;}
</style>
<script>
$(document).ready(function(){
$("td").on("click", function(){
$(this).css('background-color', 'red');
});
});
function generateGrid1(row, col)
{
var text = '<table>';
for (var j = 0; j < row; j++)
{
text += '<tr>';
for (var i = 0; i < col; i++)
{
text += '<td></td>';
}
text += '</tr>'
}
text += '</table>'
document.getElementById('player1').innerHTML = text;
}
</script>
</head>
<body onload='generateGrid1(10,10);'>
<div id ='player1'></div>
</body>
</html>

You have to select a parent element that exists on page before created elementsTry

$(document).ready(function(){            $("#player1 table td, #player2 table td").on("click", function(){        $(this).css('background-color', 'red');    });});
And try <script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.3/jquery.min.js"></script> insteadUsing ref to https from http will throw encyption error. Using // it works in Both

Thanks for the reply dsonesuk, I didn't know that you needed to include a parent element that already existed that will help a lot in the future. However it still doesn't seem to be working i'll post what I have now and maybe someone can figure out why. I'm at a total loss here and i'm at a point of just guessing things and nothing seems to be working.

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><style>table, td, tr{margin: 0 auto; border: 1px solid black; border-collapse: collapse;  padding: 5px;}td {background-color: #f1f1c1;}table{width: 40%; table-layout: fixed;}td{height: 30px;}</style><script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.3/jquery.min.js"></script><script>$(document).ready(function(){    $("#player1 table td").on('click', function(){       $(this).css('background-color', 'blue');    });});function generateGrid1(row, col){ var text = '<table>'; var cell = 0; for (var j = 0; j < row; j++) {  text += '<tr>';  for (var i = 0; i < col; i++)  {   text += '<td id = "pumped' + cell + '";></td>';   cell++;  }  text += '</tr>'; } text += '</table>'; document.getElementById('player1').innerHTML = text;}</script></head><body onload='generateGrid1(10,10);'><div id ='player1'></div></body></html>

It's the same issue, this page describes the problem and the solution:https://learn.jquery.com/events/event-delegation/You actually need this:

$("#player1").on('click', 'table td', function(){
That means that the event itself is registered on the #player1 element, which exists when that code runs, but instead of the handler firing on that element it instead gets delegated to fire on any "table td" element that is a child of #player1.