Owning own email domain

Guest GMC

How can I become the owner of my own web based mail?i.e, "I want to be the owner of hotmail, yahoo, gmail, burntmail, mail.com"How would I go about setting my own company like these?

Um, become a bazillionaire/own a big company and hire someone to do it for you. Seriously, that'd take years to learn, hundreds of people to maintain as well, and millions to start up (I assume). For now, if you want simple email forms....learn PHP and the mail() function. Well it could be expanded to a massive network, but PLAN before you do anything. Costs, maintenance fees, employees etc

If you want to have a large web-based e-mail service, then yes you need a lot of start up capital, lots of planning, and then some. However, if you just want your own web-based e-mail for your own family, or your own company or something you can purchase that through most website hosting companies.

Anyway, your very own mail system is not something for someone who never hearded of "programming"...You should at least have basic knowlegde of some languages, else you won't be able to master the company. Try to learn some languages at W3Schools first :)

There are personal web server packs such as XAMPP for example, which install a lot of things to make your computer a server. One of it's features is MercuryMail- A free application that can turn your computer(s) into mail server(s). However, the program has a really awful inteface if you ask me. Anyway. That's the thing you need for the server.To make the site needed to browse the mail, allow registration of users, etc. (as mentioned above) you would need to know quite a few languages. At least one of them must be a server side scripting language, so it can manipulate the database which MercuryMail (or any other program for this sort of task) uses.If you can become a master with all modern languages, than maintaing the server will not be that cost effective(unless you introduce it to a large amount of users... then you would need to buy few powerful computers to store and use the data).

or even better:microsoft started up just recently an email service exactly the same as hotmail but with a twist... its not an @hotmail.com or whatever but its an @your-address.comall you do is change a few things of your domain email thing lolits called Windows Live Custom Domains serviceMicrosoft will give consumers who own an Internet domain name up to 20 e-mail accounts (with 250MB per address if you live in the 50 United States, District of Columbia or Puerto Rico).It will include junk-mail filtering and virus scanning and allow a person to check e-mail from any Web-enabled PC. The service will simplify access to MSN Messenger (Windows Live Messenger), MSN Spaces (Windows Live Spaces) and other MSN services, according to the company.

Or, you can buy a really small hosting package. That's what I did. It's like 20 bucks a year, and you get 3 gig space for anything. I have a really small website on it, but I use it mainly for email.