input overloads

crazyswede

it irritates me that I can't copy and paste my question into here!!!

writing full screen edit. Program reads file (16 records x 20 fields each = hundreds of variables)
and displays all on screen. works great! All this data & edits are stored in [global] arrays. I'm using the <input type="text" > command to do this. When I click 'submit' button, it reads data from arrays ands writes it back to file.

Problem is, it tries to pass all this data thru URL window, and overloads. I don't need anything passed, it's all in arrays. Am I using wrong command? Please help me.

Are you sure it's a Javascript program you're working with?

The URL and all other GET requests have a limit to how much data they can send. If you have a form with a lot of data, make sure to set the <form> element's method attribute to "POST".

You can also use localstorage to store that data, but that also has a limit. I believe that cookies also have a size limit.

it irritates me that I can't copy and paste my question into here!!!

The forum software doesn't stop anyone from copying and pasting.

the <form> element's method, please elaborate. <input type=text> automatically passes. To manually pass you use < type=hidden>, Is there a type=no hidden?

i don't see where I can attach a file. So I have uploaded a snippet of my code to my website that might help to clarify my question - ccs2468.com/santa/aspquestion.txt

It doesn't sound like you understand HTML forms. Both <input type="text"> and <input type="hidden"> send data to the server when the form is submitted. They behave exactly the same, the only difference is that one allows the user to choose its value.

The form has two methods: <form method="GET"> and <form method="POST">. Both methods are explained on this page of the tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_forms.asp

THEY TELL ME I SHOULDN'T USE "= new Array();" BECAUSE IT BEHAVES UNPREDICTABLE

They're wrong, there's nothing unpredictable about it, it's just not as fast (or clean) as defining the literal array.

<input type="text" name="<%srecnumArray%>" value= <%Response.Write( rs("id").Value ) %> size=1 >

You need to use Response.Write to print the value.

...THESE SUBSETS CONTAIN THE VALUES FROM THE ORIGINAL, GLOBAL DECLARATIONS, BUT NOT FROM WHEN I LATER MODIFIED THEM IN THE PREVIOUS FUNCTION...

The form that you're submitting doesn't contain any of the data, it just has 2 hidden fields. You should only have 1 form on the page containing all of the fields you're trying to save, and any other hidden fields that need to be submitted.

I don't know what's different for you. Here you go:

It's true, ordinarily I would only need to modify 3 or 4 variables at any one time, not the hundreds that are displayed on the

screen in the text boxes by using

<input type="text" name="<%srecnumArray%>" value= <%Response.Write( rs("id").Value ) %> size=1 >. (if you care to look at

what I'm talking about, call up my program -> "http://ccs2468.com/santa/SmasterArray.asp?to_do=cfp"

Three or four variables, yes, I could easily pass those through the url window, but hundreds will overload the machine. I'm

thinking that I'm using the wrong statement - that I don't want this <input> command and arrays but something else. I'm hoping

you can suggest something.

If you submit the form using post instead of get then it does not jam everything into the URL. Only get methods use the URL to submit data.