Sign in to follow this  
j.silver

InnoDB for Image Gallery Tables

Dear all,

For photo gallery tables (named: gallery_album, gallery_image, gallery_relation), I have seen a recommendation to use InnoDB engine in preference to MyISAM. I thought MyISAM would be the choice for all tables but tables for transactions. Do you agree with the recommendation to using InnoDB for photo gallery tables and why?

InnoDB has a better reputation -- but do you really need to store the images in a database? If you don't need the images to be secure then you can simply store them in the filesystem.

Better reputation in what scene? My understanding is that InnoDB takes more space in the server and is slower than MyISAM.

The fact that InnoDB supports transactions and foreign keys and MyISAM does not is enough for me to always use InnoDB. The table-level locking that MyISAM does has also brought applications to a halt, where many people are waiting to write to a particular table that one person is selecting data from even though they are working with different rows. MyISAM still locks the entire table.

Many thanks davej and justsomeguy

Can I conclude that from now on I should use InnoDB in all types of tables and never use MyISAM, or there is still usefulness in MyISAM for certain types of tables?

If your site is 99% select queries and very little insert, update, or delete, and you don't care about enforcing transactions or table relationships, then you can use MyISAM.