w3-bar-item not lining up with icons

ScotBlue

Does anyone have any suggestions, or can help me with the following please:

I am using w3.css for the first time, but I am struggling to line-up google icons with the text (using the w3-bar-item and w3-button classes) in my navigation bar.

I have tried adding my own css (relative positioning, padding-bottom/top, and even changing the font size of both icon and text) but nothing seems to work.

I have also gone through w3 references, but can't find the appropriate class that might make the icons and text line up properly.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

<div id="topnav1" class="w3-bar">
  <a href="#" class="w3-bar-item w3-button"><i class="material-icons" style="font-size:23px;color:#272828;">phone_iphone</i>01382 339 605</a>
  <a href="#" class="w3-bar-item w3-button w3-hide-small"><i class="material-icons" style="font-size:23px;color:#272828;">directions_bus</i>Minibus Hire</a>
  <a href="#" class="w3-bar-item w3-button w3-hide-small"><i class="material-icons" style="font-size:23px;color:#272828;">build</i>Autocare</a>
  <a href="#" class="w3-bar-item w3-button w3-hide-small"><i class="material-icons" style="font-size:23px;color:#272828;">mail</i>Contact Us</a>
  <a href="#" class="w3-bar-item w3-button w3-hide-small"><i class="material-icons" style="font-size:23px;color:#272828;">navigation</i>Visit Us</a>
  <a href="javascript:void(0)" class="w3-bar-item w3-button w3-right w3-hide-large w3-hide-medium" onclick="myFunction()">MENU &#9776;</a>
</div>
<div id="topnav2" class="w3-bar-block w3-hide w3-hide-large w3-hide-medium">
  <a href="#" class="w3-bar-item w3-button">Link 1</a>
  <a href="#" class="w3-bar-item w3-button">Link 2</a>
  <a href="#" class="w3-bar-item w3-button">Link 3</a>
</div>