Call Function Tested in Exercise 1 Never Taught

Brofenix

Hello, this is my first post on the forums after learning HTML and JavaScript for the past 2 weeks. I have a suggestion to make for the JavaScript Functions tutorial, specifically learning how to call a function. The tutorial is very good overall and I am enjoying learning about HTML & JavaScript. As this is my first exposure to coding, my suggestion may be out of place or unusual that I did not know this particular information. However, the JavaScript tutorial never to my knowledge taught me how to call a function the way Exercise 1 at the bottom of the Function tutorial (https://www.w3schools.com/js/js_functions.asp) asked me to do.

The answer to call the function as Exercise 1 asks you to do is to insert the code "myFunction();" after the curly bracket however all throughout the JavaScript and particularly the Function tutorial, the user had been taught to call functions by inserting the code "document.getElementById("demo").innerHTML = myFunction();" after the curly bracket. The "return" statement was not used in Exercise 1 as I had felt I was most comfortable using.

I would suggest strongly that some line or section be inserted in the JavaScript Function tutorial to teach the method of using "myFunction();" to call a function, as I did not understand that functionality and thought the Exercise was impossible to figure out without looking at the answer. Maaaybe the Exercise is designed to teach you to call a function using "myFunction();" but if that is true, in my opinion it is a poor way to teach that tool.

Thank you for your time and in general a great website.

Edited by Brofenix

Be aware that it is always to the benefit of the student to modify the code in the Tryit editor in order to verify your understanding of whatever is presented. In the code you mention it is difficult to guess whether the student would know that the following is equivalent...

var myResult = myFunction(3,4); // call the function
document.getElementById("demo").innerHTML = myResult; // display the result