Verifying if a website is offline or online

Atom-G

Hi all of you,I already did a website in PHP where it will verify 41 websites, if they are online or not. I use simply fopen. But this take a while to load, like up to 10s to 100s.So I would like to make a page in javascript to make it more "instant", always loading page. I tryed using XMLHttpRequest.open but I keep having this error: "Permission denied to call method XMLHttpRequest.open". After reading on the net, I now know that we cannot use this method to access a external website of our domain, for security reason.Now my question is: What other functions/method I could use to verify if a website is offline or not? With XMLHttpRequest.open I was verifying the "if (xx.readyState == 4) & if (xx.status == 200)".What you guys would do?Thank you. :)

You can't use XMLHttpRequest cross site, so that's not an option.How about something like:

<script type='text/javascript'>function site_noexist(){	alert('there was an error loading the image from the site');}//This will work, as the image exists on the site, and can be reached.var testSite = new Image();testSite.onerror = site_noexist;testSite.src = 'http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/images/logo.gif';//This will fail, as the site gogle does not hold the image.var testSite = new Image();testSite.onerror = site_noexist;testSite.src = 'http://www.gogle.co.uk/intl/en_uk/images/logo.gif';</script>

hum, thats kind of nice. We are limited to the image, but not bad at all.Is there any proxy check or something? When I was reading on the net, peopl where saying to look for proxy etc, but not saying what method to use....