Gratitude; and a FontAwesome clutter question

GratefulAlive

Thank you very much for providing W3.css and the example template starters for us all.
Very well thought out.

The template I'm working on is here:

https://www.w3schools.com/w3css/tryit.asp?filename=tryw3css_templates_webpage&stacked=h

It calls fontawesome.4.7.0/font-awesome-min.css  so I've downloaded fa from their web site to run on my server.

And fontawesome-min.css calls the following fa files:

@font-face{font-family:'FontAwesome';src:url('../fonts/fontawesome-webfont.eot?v=4.7.0');src:url('../fonts/fontawesome-webfont.eot?#iefix&v=4.7.0') format('embedded-opentype'),url('../fonts/fontawesome-webfont.woff2?v=4.7.0') format('woff2'),url('../fonts/fontawesome-webfont.woff?v=4.7.0') format('woff'),url('../fonts/fontawesome-webfont.ttf?v=4.7.0') format('truetype'),url('../fonts/fontawesome-webfont.svg?v=4.7.0#fontawesomeregular')

The site I'm developing will only require the two basic icons on the W3example I cited, no more.

So can I safely delete the rest, in fontawesome-webfont.svg and the other filesin the fa font folder, and just retain the code for those two?

Which of these are essential to operate your example template?

fontawesome-webfont.eot

fontawesome-webfont.ttf

fontawesome-webfont.woff

fontawesome-webfont.woff2

FontAwesome.otf

Thank you :)

• 4 weeks later...

FontAwesome isn't related to W3Schools. Here is their website: https://fontawesome.com/. It requires all of the files to work properly because the files are used for compatibility with different browsers.

Personally, I like fast and efficient websites, which is why I don't rely on third party libraries for most of my content.If I need just two icons I will create them myself, or find a site that offers free icons individually. In the web development world you have to choose between efficient or easy. Due to their generalized nature you can never expect third party libraries to be efficient.

Thank you Inglome for taking the trouble to respond, much appreciated :)

I'll follow your lead and make my own icons, weird browsers can find their own way.

Loading all that FA library just for two teenie weenie icons is a mug's-game.

Now I wonder if anybody has answered my other thread about delaying image loading using blazy.js?

Edited by GratefulAlive