Please help me understand variable scope in this context...

Donny Bahama

Let's say I have main.php which consists of:

<?php
require "part1.php";
require "part2.php";
require "part3.php";
?>

If I define/set a variable in part1.php (i.e. $city = "Danville"; ), shouldn't I be able to echo $city in part2.php ?

If not, why not? (And what would be the appropriate workaround? I've tried using fopen/fwrite/fread but for some reason, the file isn't being written. :frustrated:)

If I define/set a variable in part1.php (i.e. $city = "Danville"; ), shouldn't I be able to echo $city in part2.php ?

Yes.

I've tried using fopen/fwrite/fread but for some reason, the file isn't being written. :frustrated:

if you use the require( ) function, there is no need to use the open( ) function.  It is just like copying part2.php into part1.php at that point where you insert the require( ) function.

28 minutes ago, iwato said:

if you use the require( ) function, there is no need to use the open( ) function.  It is just like copying part2.php into part1.php at that point where you insert the require( ) function.

Thank you for your response, iwato. I was only using fopen/fwrite/fread as an alternative method to try to get the variable text from one part to another (because it's just NOT working for me.

I tried a simple test...

Complete contents of test1.php:

<?php
require "part1.php";
require "part2.php";
require "part3.php";
?>

Complete contents of part1.php:

$city = "Danville";

Complete contents of part2.php:

$citydesc = "pleasant";

Complete contents of part3.php:

echo "$city is a $citydesc place to live.";

When I go to test1.php in my browser, here is the full text of the page:

$city = "Danville";$citydesc = "pleasant";echo "$city is a $citydesc place to live.";

Edited by Donny Bahama

In the actual (not the test) files, there's a bunch of html code in part1, then I use the php open/close tags, run several commands which result in a bunch of text being assigned to a variable ($promotext) then, in part2, I try to write that string to the page (again, in the middle of a bunch of html code, so I use

<?php echo $promotext; ?>

but the text isn't shown on the final/main page.

Thank you, Ingolme. Including those blocks made my test file work. But my actual files are more complicated. They're basically a full web page, divided up into chunks so I can require the header file and require the footer file so that, if I decide to make changes to the navmenu or the footer, I only have to change them in one place.

Everything worked beautifully until I decided I wanted to mix in some php. Under those circumstances, what is the right way to do this?