header function not functioning

Panta

Please i dont know why the my little code do not run the header function - header('Location: http://www.example.com/');

Please i need ans. thanks 

<?php

session_start();   //start the session for the page

include("db.php"); //include database file

//Check if page was entered by a submit button

$user_name=$_POST['user_name']; //Get username                                                   !!FROM FORM!!
$password=($_POST['password']); //Get name                                                          !!FROMFORM!!

if (!empty($user_name) && !empty($password))

$ck=$flash->prepare("SELECT * FROM `data` WHERE `user`=:user_name  AND `password`=:password "); //get rows where the username or email address is allready registered
    $ck->bindParam(':user_name',$user_name);
    $ck->bindParam(':password',$password);
    $ck->execute();
    //if email address allready excists

if($ck->rowCount() > 0) {
header('Location: http://www.example.com/');
}}
?>

Eliminate all  blank spaces  before the header() function is invoked.  There should be no blank lines, and no blank spaces after each EOL delimiter.  This is, by far, the most common source of a failed header() function.  Well, at least in my experience.

Roddy

• Thanks 1

The rowCount() method usually only tells you how many rows were updated or deleted in the most recent query. See details here: http://php.net/manual/en/pdostatement.rowcount.php

If you want to check that there were any results, you should use the fetch() method. Since all you're doing is checking that a row exists, it is inefficient to select *, because that's pulling all of the data in the row, which you don't need. Instead you should count the rows.

// Count rows where the user exists 
$ck=$flash->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) AS `amount` FROM `data` WHERE `user`=:user_name  AND `password`=:password ");
$ck->execute();
$row = $cf->fetch(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC);
if($row['amount'] > 0) {
}

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2018 at 9:11 PM, Ingolme said:

The rowCount() method usually only tells you how many rows were updated or deleted in the most recent query. See details here: http://php.net/manual/en/pdostatement.rowcount.php

If you want to check that there were any results, you should use the fetch() method. Since all you're doing is checking that a row exists, it is inefficient to select *, because that's pulling all of the data in the row, which you don't need. Instead you should count the rows.

// Count rows where the user exists 
$ck=$flash->prepare("SELECT COUNT(*) AS `amount` FROM `data` WHERE `user`=:user_name  AND `password`=:password ");
$ck->execute();
if($row['amount'] > 0) {
}

I tried this and it will not relocate to the address

On 2/5/2018 at 3:58 PM, iwato said:

Eliminate all  blank spaces  before the header() function is invoked.  There should be no blank lines, and no blank spaces after each EOL delimiter.  This is, by far, the most common source of a failed header() function.  Well, at least in my experience.

Roddy

tried this and is not relocating

Insert the following code

echo $row['amount'];

after the following line of code

and see if its value is, indeed, greater than zero.  For, if it is not, you have not met the condition of the if-statement in which the header() function is located.

Roddy

• Thanks 1

You need to do some debugging. You can't just copy some code and give up when the code doesn't work. Look for solutions.

You have one single condition to test for here:

if($row['amount'] > 0) {
}

If it redirects, then the count is greater than zero, if it does not redirect then the count is zero or less. You have to do some debugging to find out why this number is zero or less. To start off, print the number. Since it's not redirecting, my guess is that the number is zero, but you should check to make sure.

Once you have verified that the number is actually zero then that's clear evidence that the database table does not have any rows that match your query. Maybe there's something wring with your query. The query has two inputs, $user_name and $password. Print out both their values, then check the database table for yourself using phpMyAdmin or similar software to see if there is a row that contains both of those values. There are two possibilities: The values you passed into the query are wrong or the database actually does not contain that data.

I can't tell you why the code is not working, but I've just told you how you can find out.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2018 at 2:53 AM, Ingolme said:

You need to do some debugging. You can't just copy some code and give up when the code doesn't work. Look for solutions.

You have one single condition to test for here:

if($row['amount'] > 0) {
}

If it redirects, then the count is greater than zero, if it does not redirect then the count is zero or less. You have to do some debugging to find out why this number is zero or less. To start off, print the number. Since it's not redirecting, my guess is that the number is zero, but you should check to make sure.

Once you have verified that the number is actually zero then that's clear evidence that the database table does not have any rows that match your query. Maybe there's something wring with your query. The query has two inputs, $user_name and $password. Print out both their values, then check the database table for yourself using phpMyAdmin or similar software to see if there is a row that contains both of those values. There are two possibilities: The values you passed into the query are wrong or the database actually does not contain that data.

I can't tell you why the code is not working, but I've just told you how you can find out.

On 2/12/2018 at 4:23 PM, iwato said:

Insert the following code

echo $row['amount'];

after the following line of code

and see if its value is, indeed, greater than zero.  For, if it is not, you have not met the condition of the if-statement in which the header() function is located.

Roddy

Thanks for effort, i printed it and the number is "1", i wish to know if there is another possible cause for it not redirecting

Yes.  Is there anything in the included file db.php that produces printed output -- say, an echo(), print_r(), or similar such statement?

Roddy

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, iwato said:

Yes.  Is there anything in the included file db.php that produces printed output -- say, an echo(), print_r(), or similar such statement?

Roddy

thanks so much, i checked db.php and saw spaces causing it. 

Great!  I am glad that I could be of help.  Now, hover over the heart and when you see the trophy, click on it!  This will advance my W3Schools "notoriety"....

1 minute ago, iwato said:

Great!  I am glad that I could be of help.  Now, hover over the heart and when you see the trophy, click on it!  This will advance my W3Schools "notoriety"....

done already