babyboomer

MP4 file in my website won't run in the Firefox browser on Linux systems

Okay, here's my dilemma…

I've published a website which runs an MP4 file. I've tested the site in numerous browsers, including Opera and Safari. The problem is that when using Firefox to access the site from a Linux system, the video doesn't run. I tried switching from MP4 to WEBM. That solved the problem with Firefox. Unfortunately, the trade-off was that the Microsoft browsers won't run the WEBM file. I guess one consolation might be that the percentage of people using Firefox to access my site from a Linux system is relatively small. But that's pure speculation on my part.

I did find error messages in the log:

Capture.thumb.jpg.3ca3b17dd1472b8b6a2ad804fe75c55a.jpg

I even conducted a little bit of online research. Ultimately I concluded that there wasn't much I could do about it other than including an admonition to the users. I believe I saw a recommendation to add something to the .htaccess file. Unfortunately, I don't remember what that recommendation was. I didn't follow through on that, but if something can be added to the .htaccess file that would help, it's worth a try. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by babyboomer

Since it registers that it does not support MP4 media, with html5 you can source for both MP4 and WEBM at once, then either will be used depending on support for that media type.