CMS, start with one or add later?

JustRob

Hey guys,

I'm building a website to practice HTML, CSS and javascript, and down the road I wanna learn PHP as well.

So on my website I eventually want to make it so people can register an account and log in, and submit stuff to the website. I also wanna make it so that I can submit stuff to the website that regular users can't (like news updates). For the latter part, years ago when I was making my first site I just edited the HTML whenever I wanted to add stuff. But most websites these days use a CMS so they can log into their website and have a frontend to submit stuff from. 

The thing is, I have my website laid out already, and I was wondering if it's possible or doable to later add a CMS to your website when you have your HTML pages including CSS and javascripts already. In the past I have dabbled with some CMS'es like WordPress and Drupal, but I always found difficulty making my website within the confines of those systems. 

But what is the best way to go about this? Choose a CMS and build your website within that, or make your website and add a CMS later (if that's possible)?

I'm still kind of a noob when it comes to this, and I really haven't kept up with the latest webdesign trends, so I would like some advice on this.

Edited by JustRob

There's no easy way to just add a CMS to your existing site. You have to build the front end again using the theme and template system provided by the CMS, so you'll be doing a lot of work either way. You may be able to keep some of your CSS, but the HTML will probably have to be created from scratch.

No, themes and templates are simply the part of the software that determines how the data will appear visually on your site. If you're good at it, you can build a drag and drop editor into your theme, it varies depending on which CMS you use.

As an example, Wordpress has a lot of documentation on how to build themes for it and there's a lot of code involved. Not just HTML and CSS, but also PHP. https://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development

I don't need a drag & drop editor in the literal sense of the word, I just want to have an admin panel where I can submit new stuff without having to open up the HTML files every time. 

Think I better start learning PHP

Edited by JustRob