Internet Explorer - W3.CSS working fine on local, but not when copied to server

Jorgensen

I have constructed a webpage using w3.css. 

When I see the page in internet explorer on my local computer running usbwebserver.exe, the page looks fine, but when i copy the page to our server - and then access the page via http://intranet/ the layout messes up. 

Does anyone know what can cause this? 

ps. The page looks fine in chrome, both local and on the server, but I would like to enable Internet Explorer, as this can open files in File Explorer. 

Jorgensen

local.JPG

on server.JPG

Hi dsonesuk

I'm not sure what you mean, but I use this to like to the style.

<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://www.w3schools.com/w3css/4/w3.css">

What I find strange is, that the page works just fine in internet explorer when I run it locally, but when I copy to the server it won't work 😕

What version of internet explorer are you using? Either the css is broken somehow, or internet Explorer version does not support newer CSS3 display: inline-block or flex which W3css is possibly using to make parent menu sit side by side.

Hi dsoesuk

It seems to be a quite old version - 11.885.17134.0, the copyright says 2015. But as I say 

The real reason why I'm trying to use internet explorer, is that this browser opens windows file explorer when linking to files on local drives, which I'm looking for. 

Jorgensen

I would very much like to use edge, and it shows the page just fine, but I can't figure out how to open files via <a href="file://c:/">file</a>.

If I enter file://c:/ in the address field edge opens file eplorer just fine - in c:\ 

But if I add the path as a link on a html page, nothing happens when I press the link 😞