Downloadable Tutorials

Madhatter520

Just a thought...but these tutorials should be downloadable (I think that's a new word!). As a super-green newbie to web deisgn, I need all the help I can get.I live in the sticks were dial-up is the only way I can access the Internet, short of using satelitte (think much $$$$$$), and clicking through all these pages is rough. I have saved many of the pages as web pages, but there are too many and this process is time consuming (not to mention a headache) It would be awesome if I could go somewhere with broadband, download the tutorials in a zipped file, then put them on my PC. I'm sure every user of this site would benefit form this as well, by having this information readily available Internet or not. I know it would take some work, and probably affect advertising and stuff like that. It's just a shame that all this good content isn't grouped together and put in a zip file.Is there any way to save every link on this page all at once?Anyway, just a suggestion/gripe.

i believe that they are not going to do a downloadable version of the site.this will cause the visitor numbers to drop, as people will have no need to visit the site as they have it on their computer.

This has been discussed many, many times and the owners of the site have said this will not be happening because the survival of the site depends on ad revenue and if the tuts could be downloaded then users would stop coming to the site.

This has been discussed many, many times and the owners of the site have said this will not be happening because the survival of the site depends on ad revenue and if the tuts could be downloaded then users would stop coming to the site.

Right on, that is kind of what I suspected. It's awesome that they provide all the info for free and keeping that way is important. Ok, time to write some html/css, and start learning JavaScript. Then maybe one day, get around to all that other stuff that makes a site truly powerful.

Also, when people could download tutorials, they could steal them, put them on their site and nobody could do anything about it, well unless they were in a PDF file with the W3schools logo on the top page or something. But in text files or something, it could be stealed.

Also, when people could download tutorials, they could steal them, put them on their site and nobody could do anything about it, well unless they were in a PDF file with the W3schools logo on the top page or something. But in text files or something, it could be stealed.

I can steal W3Schools' content without them putting it in text files or any other downloadable form. All I need is an XML file with an XSLT stylesheet attached to it that would fetch the data for me with the document() function. Scince there are plans for making document() a built in XPath function, we would be able to that with simple JavaScript or (in the worse case) PHP. The only thing that stops me and everyone else is their conciense.

Also, just for the record, a PDF file is just as vulnerable as anything else. It's up to the reader to behave with what the file says (if the file says "no text selection", it's the reader's responsibility to do that). So if you use a reader where you can say what it can and cannot do, then the protections are pretty useless.And unless the file is encrypted, it's text anyway. There are PDF codes all over the place, but the content is text.

• 1 month later...

That sounds like a nice idea. The only thing is that I doubt that they would ever do that because they get nearly all their revenue from ads, and if you could download the site or the individual pages, their traffic and therefore revenue would quickly drop. I know I would download it immediately.