How good is javascript?

Shhhh

Hey, i'm new to these forums and have recently learned XHTML,HTML and CSS fully. I am thinking about learning javascript but i would like to see some very good things made with it and whats is capable off. I understand that it can easily show the data and things like that... simple things. Howether i would like to see some advanced things made with it if you could link me and explain what you have done.Also any advice on learning other luaguages such as php etc before i learn javascript or any general advice i would be grateful :) Cheers Shhhh

Well, JavaScript is definatly worth learning:

JavaScript gives HTML designers a programming tool - HTML authors are normally not programmers, but JavaScript is a scripting language with a very simple syntax! Almost anyone can put small "snippets" of code into their HTML pagesJavaScript can put dynamic text into an HTML page - A JavaScript statement likethis: document.write("<h1>" + name + "</h1>") can write a variable text into anHTML pageJavaScript can react to events - A JavaScript can be set to execute when something happens, like when a page has finished loading or when a user clicks onan HTML elementJavaScript can read and write HTML elements - A JavaScript can read and changethe content of an HTML elementJavaScript can be used to validate data - A JavaScript can be used to validate form data before it is submitted to a server, this will save the server from extra processingJavaScript can be used to detect the visitor's browser - A JavaScript can be used todetect the visitor's browser, and - depending on the browser - load another page specifically designed for that browserJavaScript can be used to create cookies - A JavaScript can be used to store and retrieve information on the visitor's computer
Also I think you should learn Javascript before PHP for example. I learned my Web skills in this orderHTMLCSSXHTMLVBSCRIPTJAVASCRIPTPHPSQL (learning now)BTW, if you are looking for ADVANCED examples, go to Javascript.internet.com

Hmmm Thank you for your comment but i know javascript can do them things i'm more looking for examples of uses of them in like a advanced way.Also you said you learned VBSCRIPT before javascript isnt that basically the same as javascript?Cheers Shhhh

No. VBScript has same functions as JavaScript does because of HTML DOM (both support them but JavaScript more strongly).VBScript has far more different syntax, if you want to take PHP instead of ASP, JavaScript syntax will be used.Also VBScript is the default scripting language in ASP but I don't think it's essential now.I also edited my post, there is a link to advanced scripts, for example a calendar (what I put on my desktop :)).

Also any advice on learning other luaguages such as php etc before i learn javascript or any general advice i would be grateful
It doesn't matter what one you learn first IMO, i went from javascript to php but either path is fine.There is a term "unobtrusive JavaScript" - which means a script that does not force itself on users or stand in their way. JavaScript should be used as a “nice to have” item rather than a requirement as it can be disabled.That being said i don't want to put you off javascript, i think it's fab, just don't build anything important that relies on it being available - like navigation.You will find plenty of advanced javascript's if you ask google. :)