Not all posts are restored?

Sniffy

I've noticed in some of the threads I posted, some of the posts are missing. I noticed a post missing by Little Goat first, then more and more. Are some of the posts not restored?

My guess is that our admins had tools to allow them to perform backups. I think IPB has built-in tols to make backups but you have to do it manually. The admins didn't visit the forums very much...hopefully they will be around more at least just to do backups...I hope.Invision probably does a backup of their servers everyday but it would be more difficult to backup from those (I am guessing).Either way, who's fault it is isn't really relaivant, what we should ask and I would like to know is what have we adn the admins learned from it?I do not feel so safe now running my own forums and have started making regular backups and looking for ways to prevent this from happening to me.

I do not feel so safe now running my own forums and have started making regular backups and looking for ways to prevent this from happening to me.
Either keep the forum software upgraded, or write your own and don't publish the source. These exploits are developed by spammers for financial gain, and are published for popular systems. The source code is required to write the exploits, and the source code is freely available. If you write your own forum, the vast majority of kids out there do not have the necessary knowledge to break in, the knowledge they have is how to locate and execute a Perl script.

Very true I am considering writing my own but I don't really have the time yet I don't want to pay for software for my tiny site.At the moment I am weighing my options and am waiting the outcome of some server upgrades I am going ot try first before settling on piece of software yet.