Do not reload the menu

fsantoianni

I'm building a web page, and started with a simple layout: there is a banner and a menu at the top, and the welcome page after it. People may then select an item from the menu at the top or the image links at the main page, and go to other subpages. But the idea is that those subpages should be loaded in the area below the menu, the menu itself and the banner should remain in place, not reloaded each time the visitor navigates around. I have seen some instructions but they always rely in frames or frame-related tags. It has been made abundantly clear that those are not compatible with HTML5 and have many drawbacks, but then, which is the modern way to do that?

Note that most or all major pages in internet do this regardless of their format (limit the navigation to a part of the page, while keeping links at the top, bottom, left or right in their place), so I'm sure that I'm not asking about some outdated idea. The W3Schools page itself, after all, does this.  

What you're asking to do is not commonly done. The menu almost always gets reloaded along with the rest of the page and there's no real drawback to that behavior. You can work around that by loading the page content with AJAX, but that's not very SEO friendly.

While I advise against frames, I have to correct you on the fact that iframes are part of the HTML 5 specification.