Your CSS course.

Lerner

I am new to posting here, so I will be making formatting mistakes with highlighting and formatting hand over fist.

This is partly because I am (now) used to doing it in forums that use different qualifiers to do things.

I am "busting my butt" trying to learn (or at least get a handle on) CSS.

As "good" as your examples are, they are very contrived.   I went through quite a few of them so quickly my head spun and I couldn't believe I was getting them right so easily.

However, when I went back to the real world, what was shown and what is:  are two very different beasts.

Oh, and added after a lot of typing:

WHY is this system doing double line spacing when I type?

Though it isn't wasting paper, it seems rather weird typing and getting blank lines between each.

Here is a good example of your explanations being confusing - to me.

Introduction:

When you are talking about the three types of CSS:  external, internal and inline.

`navy` is shown as defined in the external style and `orange` is defined internally.

You then go on with the order they are defined and which one is used.

Assume that an external style sheet has the following style for the <h1> element:

Then, assume that an internal style sheet also has the following style for the <h1> element:

Your answers:

If the internal style is defined after the link to the external style sheet, the <h1> elements will be "orange":

However, if the internal style is defined before the link to the external style sheet, the <h1> elements will be "navy": 

What you are missing is the essential words:   IN THIS EXAMPLE

Rather it would be better if it was worded this way:

If the internal style is defined after the link to the external style sheet, the <h1> elements will be the colour assigned to the internal colour

However, if the internal style is defined before the link to the external style sheet, the <h1> elements will be the colour assigned to the external colour.

Because in the first example if the internal colour is white, your explanation is wrong.

You could say this is petty, but it had me going up the wall and wasting time I would prefer to have not lost on such a stupid point.

That is the end of that part, but while I'm here:

I am wanting to learn BUTTONS.

This is a very touchy subject for me as I have a lot of requirements of buttons.

Embedded icons, colour cycling, output message toggling and other such things.

So I saw the but on BUTTONS.   Great.

Started going through it.

One very important thing seems to be missing:

Where does it show you what to specify happens when a button is pressed?

To me that is the number 1 function of a button.   OUTPUT WHEN PRESSED.

Otherwise it is simply screen decoration.

Anyway, I want to try and get back to things and try to learn.

Please understand I am fritzed out a bit with all this "social isolation" but on the other hand, it makes me study.

I want to learn.   (Thus the name)

But I need good examples.  Not gerneralisations of what it kind of does.

I am not sure if I will get a reply.   I can but hope.  But I won't hold my breath.

Hear from you if you reply.

Unfortunately, the W3Schools staff doesn't visit the forums.

The CSS tutorial won't teach you how to make buttons do things, because the purpose of CSS is only to change the appearance of things. If you want to learn how to make things happen when a button is pressed, you should learn Javascript which is considerably more difficult to learn than CSS.