The Next Step

UserNumber1000

I just took a beginner's course on JavaScript, HTML, CSS, and SQL and I did the w3 course on Java. I know these beginner courses aren't enough to understand it fully, obviously the next step isn't to look at what every package in Java does (I hope) and I believe I should be studying code to expand my skills. So the question is, is there something I should be doing next that I haven't thought of and where can I find things to study. I'm going to college for computer science but I'd like to push myself now, and if things work out really well then freelance. Because all the articles on it are about expanding your soft skills, probably for those past my point in development.

The best way to learn is to set yourself a project and try to accomplish it. Along the way you'll run into problems you don't know how to solve. When you do, you do research on those specific things and that is how you learn. You will find tools in Java which do what you need them to. The more problems you run into while developing something, the more things you will learn when researching the solutions to those problems.

On the other hand, try not to start a project that is too far out of your reach.