I'm writing a website for a local organisation which has several different interest groups within it. Each of these groups has its own page, however some of the information they provide for members changes frequently.

In order to save myself a lot of ongoing bother having to make all the changes for them, I'd like to have a <div> on each of these pages which has a 'contenteditable' attribute so that the organiser of the group can change parts of his/her own group's page, such as details of upcoming meeting or reviews of past meetings etc.

However there needs to be a way of password protecting this via an 'Edit' button on each page to open a login popup so that only someone with the correct password for that page (the relevent group organiser) can do the editing. Each editable page needs to have its own unique password. Is this possible? In other words, if the password is correct for that page the 'contenteditable' attribute is set to 'true', but otherwise it's 'false'.

I should add that I'm relatively new to web design, so I'll need a quite detailed explanation of how this can be done.

Contenteditable won't save the edits you make to the page. The changes are only visible on the computer of the person who is editing the page and disappear as soon as the tab is closed.

If you want to make a page editable, your best option is to install a CMS like Wordpress or similar. There is no way to do this with just HTML or even Javascript.

4 hours ago, Ingolme said:

Contenteditable won't save the edits you make to the page. The changes are only visible on the computer of the person who is editing the page and disappear as soon as the tab is closed.

If you want to make a page editable, your best option is to install a CMS like Wordpress or similar. There is no way to do this with just HTML or even Javascript.

Ah, OK, thanks. I was under the impression from something I'd read elsewhere that it was possible to have the edited content saved and written to the page, but it seems I must have been mistaken.  I'll need to look to other options.