Hello - Website starter advice wanted, please.

jayne

Hi everyone!😃

I have done the html, css and doing the JavaScript tutorial. I want to start consolidating my basic knowledge by developing websites. But where do I start? I want to build a portfolio. But I can't seem to move forward! To start the web building, should I follow the section headed 'Web Building?'

Thanks, 

Jayne🤠

If you plan to do everything client side, just start creating.  Then, just save your work in a way that lets you share it.

If you plan to do some things server side, you'll need to set up a localhost before you start creating.  Then, just save your work in a way that lets you share it.

What kind of computer OS do you use? 

• Like 1

Thank you Niche,

At the moment, I use my android tablet, but I am looking to get a new laptop this week.

But I just found  the CSS Templates - CSS Layout Templates, under the CSS section, so I may start there. There's just so much that I don't really know where to start sometimes! That's good!

Thanks for helping. Btw, is that what you mean when you say just start creating? 

Do you have a portfolio? 

Jayne 🤠

In this context, I mean start writing code especially for reasons that interest you!  The bigger the variety of ideas you try to write code for, the more valuable your code skills will be to you and the people that will want to hire you.  Speaking for myself, the key to becoming confident as a coder is the willingness to make mistakes.  Lots and lots of mistakes.  It's just as easy for you to produce challenging, mistake producing code situations, as it is for employers.  So, don't wait around for some one to hand you a job.  Make one for yourself and be willing to tackle lots of mistakes.  Making mistakes is the primary way people get to own what they learn.  

Most likely, you've only worked on code problems that have already been answered by someone else.  Now it's time to ask yourself questions that lead to projects that you can show potential clients or employers.  Self taught coders should naturally be able to create self taught code projects.

As for my portfolio, I don't have one.  Never occured to me to make one.  

I invented a way to use code to measure how much people overpay for their purchases and how much they're underpaid for their work.  It's a job I'll be working on the rest of my life.  So, I'm fortunate that I don't need a portfolio.

BTW, those discoveries were made while I was looking for DIY projects to sharpen my self taught code skills. 

So, never stop learning and neither will I !

Qapla!        

Edited by niche
  • Like 1

What kind of OS are you thinking about getting with your new laptop?  Your answer will directly impact how you'll create your local development environment.  

Good. 

You have many options for your local developer environment 

I recommend this for starters: 

https://www.wampserver.com/en/

It's completely free.  You don't even have to register.  They don't care who you are.

It's the localhost I use.

Their download is clean.  No viruses, malware, spyware, etc.

EDIT:

Still, run their dl through your virus scan before using it!!

Edited by niche
  • Like 1

Thank you again!

You're help is much appreciated ☺️

Jayne 🤠

On 1/17/2021 at 1:38 PM, jayne said:

Hi everyone!😃

I have done the html, css and doing the JavaScript tutorial. I want to start consolidating my basic knowledge by developing websites. But where do I start? I want to build a portfolio. But I can't seem to move forward! To start the web building, should I follow the section headed 'Web Building?'

Thanks, 

Jayne🤠

this is a starter website [link removed]

you can visit to check this website and clone this. it's very easy.

Edited by Ingolme
Removed advertising link

10 hours ago, Eagleapk said:

this is a starter website  [link removed]

you can visit to check this website and clone this. it's very easy.

I will take look, thank you 🤠