Were you lerned web design before w3 schools/

tyler

Before w3schools I lerned on Adult Swim its a tv show hosting sevice and i liked the shows.But when they got there they had signatures like on all forums and I was facinated by this and they had a thread started to make your own or someone makes one for you. So I whent there decided to ask someone for and old html Box to put some links in and a couple smilies :). Then they gave me a code to put in my signature and i looked at it and I was like whats this? Will this work? and sure enough it did.After that I whent back and observed people getting there own "sigs" I lerned the code quitly and after ahwile i figured out it was html! So I started helping people and after ahwile I started learning filters everything thats html..... But then Adult Swim closed people using html and then thats when I left in search to do something with the knowledge I gained...~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~After ahwile I found some tutorials that didnt help me with what I lerned from that previous year. So I took a break from coding for what seemed like an enternity then I came back. I found a website that gave me Tutorials on how to learn html and css and tons of other stuff. I was amzed at how much i insignfic things i lerned and theres so much more!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Well thats my story whats yours?

I've learned HTML at this Dutch (for you all not understandable) site:http://home.concepts-ict.nl/~michael1After that, I turned to InvisionFree boards like the one of Webworldx, namely "iFusion" (click here) for learning Javascript, and from there, the admin James (Webworldx) suggested W3Schools' site.And at W3Schools I learned html, xhtml, css, javascript, php and sql :)I also read some other tutorials which I actually don't use: xml, xpath, media, xforms, asp, dhtml and some more.

Edited by Dan The Prof

I learned by looking at other people's code. My first website was hosted on the ASU General server, and was a website for my band at the time to host our music on. After a few months I decided to get my own webspace, and just saw what other people were doing, looked at their code, and looked up anything I didn't understand.

I invited my friend Mitch over (who had a site) and he helped me get my first website on Oct. 11, 2003. I started learning html by copying websites and making pages, alot of the time it was coping Mitch's site.That website was call YellowstormThen I created my own work with W3schools help call Ultra Link (nothing to do with linking BTW)After W3schools tought me all it could about DHTML, I moved to Net ViewNet View still ran on a hosting website untill the last month of it's life when it go moved to a vitural server.Then I got my first server (Windows 2000) ... current siteThen later I got my current Linux server ... current siteThat's my life... in a nut shell. All 3 years of it!

The only thing about HTML which I read before W3Schools was in a Bulgarian magazine. They briefly described HTML and how it's misused when CSS should be used for presentaion, along with simple examples of both. Scince I already had some knowedge in engligh, I was amazed as to how simple the syntax is. Up to that point I though that HTML contains a lot of weird garbage whereas this magazine showed me that's not always true. I then looked at a forum I was visiting. There, a forum known as PC School was advertised. I looked there and they were all deticated to web design, along with 3D graphics (a thing I was more interested at that point). At this new forum, I saw a thread about different sites for tutorials and guess which one was there. W3Schools of course. That's when my true studyings began.

I learned by looking at other people's code. My first website was hosted on the ASU General server, and was a website for my band at the time to host our music on. After a few months I decided to get my own webspace, and just saw what other people were doing, looked at their code, and looked up anything I didn't understand.
Thats the EXACT same way I learned. Its almost creepy. My first website was to promote my bands music. And i viewed source A LOT and looked up anything I didnt get. After I got all the basics down I went to a tech school to learn a few other languages, as well as some graphic design stuff. I've got an associates degree in web design, I was a tutor at my college for other students, I graduated with honors, but I find myself asking the most simple questions on earth about web programming on this forum. You guys probably think I'm dumb! :) What post was that? 3 or 7 ??EDIT: WOW, after i posted i realised justsomeguys post was 3 and mine was 7!!! I'm a believer Dan!

I was a manager at a ski and golf resort in the mid-atlantic region of the United States. This was a little over ten years ago in the mountains where I was thrilled to have a 2400 baud modem on my mac at home. I went to the owner and suggested we think about the web since I felt it would be a great way to cut down the phones calls we received for ski and weather reports. Since all I ever heard about was the phone bill and how much that freakin' 800 number was costing, I figured it was an easy sell.Sure enough, the owner said go for it , but no money was allocated and I only had my free time (at work) to dabble. I spent a day with my older brother who introduced me to Mosaic and a few pages they hosted on HTML tags. From there, it was all about using the "view source" browser function. Within a year I launched the first website for the resort and for the region. Call volume reduced by over 30% the first season and our print costs (brochures) went down by 45%. Area businesses took noticed and next thing I knew (more work for me), I was in the middle of a career change. I still manage a few of the sites in that area to this day.Everything I've ever learned has been self taught by way of google - so I owe what I know to google. I've searched and discovered so many sites, that not one really earns the distinction for me. However, the only notable mention would be w3schools for the simple fact that it has so much information, so neatly packed, that I refer to it all the time for so many reasons. Additionally, the Cold Fusion websites over the years have given me all the documentation I've needed to develop my skills there. I've never read any book from cover to cover or even an entire chapter - developed sites (that I've googled) always give me more "real world" solutions than any book ever has.

I just looked at some source code and figured out somehow that it was html.. and so I googled it for like 5 days until I found davesite.com. I learned basic HTML from there about a year and a half ago, but around september I had a tech class in school and we were making websites, so I pulled out my knowledge of HTML, but I made really bad things. So I started learning it more and better, then I was wondering how games were made so I asked around for a month or two until someone said "php". That word changed my life :). I did the same thing for php as I did with html, google it til I found the zend beginner guide to php, learned the basics and I have just advanced to here! All thanks to google, no classes.

Are you talking about mark overmars game maker? Ive never used that.. although I used to use rpg maker, whihc is pssibly the worlds worst game making program. (No joke..)

I started learning html one and a half years ago in computers class in high school, but it was like a mix of html 2.0 and 3.2. After w3schools I bet I could teach it way better than my teacher did... :)

One of our computer class assignments was to make a website except we HAD to use the page builder from geocites.com. When my sister was in high school (still same computer teacher) they had upgraded to DW;)...but I hand coded strict XHTML for her....the teacher thought she was a genius...:)Those had to be the sadest looking websites EVER!

Oh yeah? When I was in high school I took my first programming class, and the language of choice was Turbo Pascal. The guy that taught the class basically told us to choose our own project and do it, so as long as you could produce something that compiled and ran you got an A. I sat around and made programs that made little geometric line drawings on the screen. Pretty high tech!