Anomalous 404 error overly

A_tom

I have used the same html code (self developer/amateur - siftradingsytems.com) for the past ten years. I've just noticed that I am getting a 404 error code message overlay when I mouse over my menu, which you can see from the image. Everything works as it always has. If I select an item from the menu it navigates to it as it always has. I'm trying to figure out the cause of the errant 404 error message. The only changes to my website have been that I asked the webhost company (Hostgator) to provide a security certificate, which they did. The menu uses some javascript that I got from DynamicDrive.com (ddlevelsmenu.js). Hostgator, says it's a script problem. I'm looking for a little guidance on how to fix this.

SorryThisPageDoesn'tExist.PNG

I can't seem to access siftradingsystems.com so I'm unable to test it for myself or see the code. It might be using AJAX to try to load content, getting a 404 page and displaying that on the screen, but I can't know for sure. The certificate might be causing a problem if AJAX is trying to load content from an insecure URL, so you would have to change the AJAX to use the secure URL instead.

Last I checked DynamicDrive, the code examples they were providing were ancient Javascript, I'm not sure how much of it would still work today and many of their solutions could be implemented much easier and more efficiently these days with pure CSS.

It was a spelling mistake in the URL in your original post. I've added a missing s to the URL and managed to access the page now.

I looked through the dynamicdrive Javascript and it looks like, as some kind of workaround for old Internet Explorer versions, they load a special blank page in an <iframe> with a filter for use on HTTPS websites. Since the page does not exist on your server, it gets a 404 error.

If it were my own website I'd remove this menu code entirely and rebuild the menu using CSS, because the code is far more complicated than it needs to be for the purpose of supporting browsers which haven't been used in a decade.

However, I know that it would be more work than it's worth to do that right now. To solve the problem on your website quickly, follow these steps:

1. Upload an empty HTML file named "blank.htm" to your website's root
  2. Update the dynamicdrive file, replacing "blank.htm" with "/blank.htm" in the following line of code:
httpsiframesrc: "blank.htm"