How do I change the style of the links?

Il Domandatore

On the website there is this code;

a, a: focus {
     text-decoration: none;
}

The link is underlined and on hover it does not. It fits me well, but shouldn't it be hover?

I tried to put links, hover and visited, but I could not get the desired results.

I wanted the link underlined and the underline disappeared on hover. An underline with dots for visited links.

Your current selector is removing the underline for all links, whether or not they are hovered. If you only want it removed on hover then change the selector to only target hovered links.

a { text-decoration: underline; }
a:hover { text-decoration: none; }

Unless your page has other CSS rules which are overriding it, the code I provided meets these requirements:

• Links are underlined.
  • Hovered links are not underlined.

I didn't see the visited links requirement, but it's not going to be possible. For privacy reasons, styling for visited links is restricted to certain properties (Read more). You can set the color of a visited link, but cannot change the underline or border style, which is inherited from normal link styles.

If you intend to use the border in order to give the underline a different color then you will have to use only border properties and remove the text decoration because the underline given by the text-decoration property is always the same as the text . 

a {
  text-decoration: none;
  border-bottom: 1px solid;
}
a:visited {
  border-color: #3b633b;
}
a:hover {
  border-bottom: none;
}
  • Thanks 1

If the link is a block element then the border cannot be used as an underline.

The only way to work around the problem on your website is to put all of the block styling, such as padding and borders, on the parent element of the link and make sure that the link is an inline element.