If Inbox > 1(unread) how to?

morrisjohnny

Hello, I'm totaly new to PHP and was wondering if i could get some help ( i have read the w3schools page)I was wanting to know:When a person who was logged in has 1 unread mailed how to display textI do use Mysql tables, and i believe it has somthing to do with this:

<?			$lijstGebruikers = "SELECT * FROM inbox WHERE reciever='$cookieusername' AND unread='0'";			$resultLijstGebruikers = mysql_query($lijstGebruikers);			$messag = mysql_num_rows($resultLijstGebruikers);		?>		<tr><td class="menuItem">- <a class="menuItem" href="inbox.php">Inbox<? if ($messag > 0) { echo " [$messag new]"; } ?></a></td></tr>

Thanks in advance-Jny

Oka yi added that in but i still recive a warning saying.Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'nobody'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home2/jnymris/public_html/Maffia (05-05-05)/Info.php on line 26Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in /home2/jnymris/public_html/Maffia (05-05-05)/Info.php on line 26Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home2/jnymris/public_html/Maffia (05-05-05)/Info.php on line 27

OK, well that doesn't have anything to do with your code. You are not connected to the SQL server. Since it gives the user as nobody@localhost, and no password, I'm thinking you probably aren't even trying to connect at all. You need to use this function once on each page you want to access the database to connect:http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-connect.phpYou give that function the server name, SQL user name, and SQL password, which are all set up in the MySQL software. Once you have connected to the server, you use this function to select which database you want to work with:http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-select-db.phpAfter you are connected and have selected a database, then you can use mysql_query to start sending queries to the database server.Here's an example from php.net:

<?php$link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'mysql_user', 'mysql_password');if (!$link) {   die('Not connected : ' . mysql_error());}// make foo the current db$db_selected = mysql_select_db('foo', $link);if (!$db_selected) {   die ('Can\'t use foo : ' . mysql_error());}?>

Okay i hace "conneted to mysql" as the Text says so But i now recive this error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home2/jnymris/public_html/Maffia (05-05-05)/Info.php on line 13
And this is my code for the whole page
<html><head>	<title>Mafia :: v0.10 Beta</title>	<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="src/standard.css" /><?php$link = mysql_connect('localhost', '*******', '*******');if (!$link) {   die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());}			$lijstGebruikers = "SELECT * FROM inbox WHERE reciever='$cookieusername' AND unread='0'";			$resultLijstGebruikers = mysql_query($lijstGebruikers);			$messag = mysql_num_rows($resultLijstGebruikers);		"<a href ="inbox.php" target ="showframe">Inbox <? if ($messag > 0) { echo " [$messag new]"; } ?></a>"mysql_close($link);?> <script type="text/javascript">var d = new Date()document.write(d.getDate())document.write(".")document.write(d.getMonth() + 1)document.write(".")document.write(d.getFullYear())</script><script type="text/javascript">var d = new Date()document.write(d.getHours())document.write(".")document.write(d.getMinutes())document.write(".")document.write(d.getSeconds())</script></head></html>

Okay i have Changed the file to start with <?phpI now recive the very simlier error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home2/jnymris/public_html/Maffia (05-05-05)/Info.php on line 9
New Code
<?php$link = mysql_connect('localhost', '***', '***');if (!$link) {   die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());}			$lijstGebruikers = "SELECT * FROM inbox WHERE reciever='$cookieusername' AND unread='0'";			$resultLijstGebruikers = mysql_query($lijstGebruikers);			$messag = mysql_num_rows($resultLijstGebruikers);		"<a href ="inbox.php" target ="showframe">Inbox <? if ($messag > 0) { echo [$"messag new"]; } ?></a>"mysql_close($link);?> <html><head>	<title>Mafia :: v0.10 Beta</title>	<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="src/standard.css" /><script type="text/javascript">var d = new Date()document.write(d.getDate())document.write(".")document.write(d.getMonth() + 1)document.write(".")document.write(d.getFullYear())</script><script type="text/javascript">var d = new Date()document.write(d.getHours())document.write(".")document.write(d.getMinutes())document.write(".")document.write(d.getSeconds())</script><br /></head></html>

you have to put the <?php ?> before the <html> and make sure there is no extra lines before the php either. <?php has to be the first 5 characters of the file.
Humm i didnt know that. It has always worked fror me to do something like
<html><head><?php $pgtitle = 'my test page';$content = 'this is me testing php'; ?><title><?php echo"$pgtitle";?></title></head><body><?phpecho"$content";?></body></html>

I dont think you must put the mysql connection at the top of the page, at least doesnt matter for me.Anyways, your problem now is this line:

"<a href ="inbox.php" target ="showframe">Inbox <? if ($messag > 0) { echo [$"messag new"]; } ?></a>"

First, im guessing your wanting to print or echo this on the pageso you put this:

echo "<a href ="inbox.php" target ="showframe">Inbox <? if ($messag > 0) { echo [$"messag new"]; } ?></a>"

Second, im confused why you have this:

echo [$"messag new"];

I see there you are trying to print the array out right there. but your doing it way wrong. Try this:

echo $messag['new'];

I am blanking out on mysql_num_rows right now though :)Try that and see what happens.The final code should be:

echo "<a href ="inbox.php" target ="showframe">Inbox <? if ($messag > 0) echo $messag['new']; } ?></a>"

:)

Replace line 9 with this:

echo "<a href =\"inbox.php\" target =\"showframe\">Inbox";if ($messag > 0) {   echo " [{$messag} new]"; }echo "</a>";

He's not trying to print an array, he's trying to print text like this:Inbox [3 new]$messag is a counter.

if ($messag > 0)  echo "<a href =\"inbox.php\" target =\"showframe\">";echo "Inbox";if ($messag > 0) {  echo " [{$messag} new]";   echo "</a>";}

The difference between that and what I posted above is here the inbox text will only be clickable if there are new messages.

if ($messag > 0)  echo "<a href =\"inbox.php\" target =\"showframe\">";echo "Inbox";if ($messag > 0) {  echo " [{$messag} new]";   echo "</a>";}

The difference between that and what I posted above is here the inbox text will only be clickable if there are new messages.

Thanks i think we are making progress.I will use this code untill i find out is it possible to only show this if new messages exsist

That's what it's doing. If you only want to show the inbox text when there are new messages (so if there are not new messages, they don't even see the inbox), then just wrap the whole thing in an if statement:

if ($messag > 0) {  echo "<a href =\"inbox.php\" target =\"showframe\">Inbox [{$messag} new]</a>";}

Okay thts how i wanted, Thank you for solving that problem, Now i seem to have a different one,

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home2/jnymris/public_html/Maffia (05-05-05)/Info.php on line 814.8.2006 22.26.55
<?php$link = mysql_connect('localhost', '***', '***');if (!$link) {   die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());}			$lijstGebruikers = "SELECT * FROM inbox WHERE reciever='$cookieusername' AND unread='0'";			$resultLijstGebruikers = mysql_query($lijstGebruikers);			$messag = mysql_num_rows($resultLijstGebruikers);if ($messag > 0){  echo "<a href =\"inbox.php\" target =\"showframe\">Inbox [{$messag} new]</a>";}mysql_close($link);?> <html><head>	<title>Johnnys Junk Clock Frame</title>	<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="src/standard.css" /><script type="text/javascript">var d = new Date()document.write(d.getDate())document.write(".")document.write(d.getMonth() + 1)document.write(".")document.write(d.getFullYear())</script><script type="text/javascript">var d = new Date()document.write(d.getHours())document.write(".")document.write(d.getMinutes())document.write(".")document.write(d.getSeconds())</script><br /></head></html>

The query has an error. Do this:$resultLijstGebruikers = mysql_query($lijstGebruikers) or echo mysql_error();I'm betting it's because you aren't selecting the database.BTW, what's with the foreign language in your code, you appear to be on top of some tweed somewhere in the UK.

MY database is called jnymris_mozza if that helps? i'm just about to try it now. I hope i'm not causing any trouble, like i say i'm totaly new ( started last night ) and i really do thank you very muchOn top of the tweed? i live up north in the uk yeah. I got the scripts from a mate, who i think he got from someone eles

You need to select the database after you connect with mysql_select_db.http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-select-db.php

On top of the tweed? i live up north in the uk yeah. I got the scripts from a mate, who i think he got from someone eles
Oh. Well it's nothing advanced, you might as well write it so it makes sense to you.$sql = "SELECT * FROM inbox WHERE reciever='$cookieusername' AND unread='0'";$result = mysql_query($sql);$num_messages = mysql_num_rows($result);

<?php$link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'jnymris_mozza', '***');if (!$link) {   die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());}$sql = "SELECT * FROM inbox WHERE reciever='$cookieusername' AND unread='0'";$result = mysql_query($sql);$num_messages = mysql_num_rows($result);if ($messag > 0){  echo "<a href =\"inbox.php\" target =\"showframe\">Inbox [{$messag} new]</a>";}mysql_close($link);?>

The mail is in a table called Inbox and my phpadmin is called : jnymris_mozza i know i'm totaly new but it looks fine to me and i can't find mysql_select_db did i miss it out?

Dude, look at my last post. You need to select the database. I'm not trying to be insulting, but it doesn't matter if it looks fine to you if you don't know how to write it yet. The first thing you need to do is connect to the server, and the second (which you are not doing) is select the database. That's what I said earlier.

$link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'jnymris_mozza', '***');if (!$link) {   die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());}mysql_select_db("whatever_your_database_is_called");

THEN you can query the database.

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home2/jnymris/public_html/Maffia (05-05-05)/Info.php on line 10
I'm starting to get sick of php already, I hope this can be sorted soon, This is the last one for the night, I've had enough.
<?php$link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'jnymris_mozza', '***');mysql_select_db(inbox);if (!$link) {   die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());}mysql_select_db("Inbox");$sql = "SELECT * FROM inbox WHERE reciever='$cookieusername' AND unread='0'";$result = mysql_query($sql);$num_messages = mysql_num_rows($result);if ($messag > 0){  echo "<a href =\"inbox.php\" target =\"showframe\">Inbox [{$messag} new]</a>";}mysql_close($link);?>

Yes, mysql_num_rows has to be used certain ways.. just do this:

$messag = "0";while($row = mysql_num_rows($result){$messag++;}Then the rest of the code will work! Replace that with $num_messages )