If Inbox > 1(unread) how to?

morrisjohnny

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '{' in /home2/jnymris/public_html/Maffia (05-05-05)/Info.php on line 12
I'm getting sick of this, i'm posting now but i'll check in the morning since i really can't be bothered anymore
<?php$link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'jnymris_mozza', 'qwerty######er');mysql_select_db(inbox);if (!$link) {   die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());}mysql_select_db("Inbox");$sql = "SELECT * FROM inbox WHERE reciever='$cookieusername' AND unread='0'";$result = mysql_query($sql);$messag = "0";while($row = mysql_num_rows($result){$messag++;}  echo "<a href =\"inbox.php\" target =\"showframe\">Inbox [{$messag} new]</a>";}mysql_close($link);?>

Replace this:mysql_select_db("Inbox");with this:mysql_select_db("Inbox") or echo mysql_error();And replace this:$result = mysql_query($sql);with this:$result = mysql_query($sql) or echo mysql_error();And see if you get a different error. Keep in mind that this is not the table name (Inbox might be the table name), it is the name of the database that contains the table.

$messag = "0";while($row = mysql_num_rows($result){$messag++;}
Even though it is missing a closing paren on the while statement, that will actually result in an infinite loop, so you don't want to do that. mysql_num_rows works fine if the query succeeded. The error message indicates that the query didn't even succeed, not that there is a problem with mysql_num_rows.

You have an extra } at the end of this:

while($row = mysql_num_rows($result){$messag++;}  echo "<a href =\"inbox.php\" target =\"showframe\">Inbox [{$messag} new]</a>";}

so just remove it like this:

while($row = mysql_num_rows($result){$messag++;}  echo "<a href =\"inbox.php\" target =\"showframe\">Inbox [{$messag} new]</a>";

:)

You're also missing a closing paren here:while($row = mysql_num_rows($result)But like I said, you don't want to execute this code, because it will never stop executing. mysql_num_rows will either be zero and the loop will never run, or it will be non-zero and the loop will never stop. The value of mysql_num_rows never changes in this context.

My database name i think is "jnymris_mozza" but i uploaded a file to mysql called "maffia MYSQL.sql"Anyway i now recive a new error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ECHO in /home2/jnymris/public_html/Maffia (05-05-05)/Info.php on line 7
<?php$link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'jnymris_mozza', '***');mysql_select_db(jnymris_mozza);if (!$link) {   die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());}mysql_select_db("jnymris_mozza") or echo mysql_error();$sql = "SELECT * FROM inbox WHERE reciever='$cookieusername' AND unread='0'";$result = mysql_query($sql) or echo mysql_error();$messag = "0";while($row = mysql_num_rows($result){$messag++;}  echo "<a href =\"inbox.php\" target =\"showframe\">Inbox [{$messag} new]</a>";mysql_close($link);?>

Whoops, I guess I gave you bunk code. I didn't realize you couldn't use echo in that context. Change lines 7-9 to this:mysql_select_db("jnymris_mozza") or exit(mysql_error());$sql = "SELECT * FROM inbox WHERE reciever='$cookieusername' AND unread='0'";$result = mysql_query($sql) or exit(mysql_error());It will stop execution of the page if you have a database error, which is probably better for debugging anyway. You may want to remove the exit statements once you get the code working properly.Also, remove the first mysql_select_db statement on line 3 right under the mysql_connect statement.

Replace this:$messag = "0";while($row = mysql_num_rows($result){$messag++;}with this:$messag = mysql_num_rows($result);It looks like all of the database connectivity and also the query itself is working, so mysql_num_rows won't complain.

Okay now it shows Inbox [0] or Inbox [1] if u have one unread, This will be suitable although i don't surpose u know how i could make it say "You Have New Mail" if one mail is unread and say nothing if their is no new mail?Thanks though Thts awesome the way u have done that

This is your output statement:echo "<a href =\"inbox.php\" target =\"showframe\">Inbox [{$messag} new]</a>";So you can change that to say anything you want. You know that $messag holds the number of unread messages. So, you can do whatever you want:

if ($messag == 0)  echo "No new messages";else  echo "<a href =\"inbox.php\" target =\"showframe\">Inbox [{$messag} new]</a>";

etc. Since you know how many new messages there are, you can do whatever else you want with that information.