Photoshop Question

vchris

I upgraded to PS CS 2 and I used to work with PS 7 and CS. There was a feature where if I had a layer select and I control clicked on it, I could see the marquee around the layer. In CS2 it doesn't do it. How can I do this?EDIT: Am I not clear enough?

You want to select the entire layer, right? I always use CTRL-A for that. Not sure if that works in CS2 or not though. You can check under the edit menu and see what the shortcut is.
I'll try that. Yes I want to select the entire layer. I want to get the shape and location of that layer transfered to another layer.I'll explain. I have a very nice image of space with planets and stuff. I want to take a square with rounded corners that's 600px wide and something like 300px high. I then want to blur that section and it will serve as my content background. I'm not even sure if that's the best way to do it.If you have better ideas to achieve this result, I'm open to suggestions.

Yeah, that will work. You can probably also right-click on the layer in the layer palette and select copy or duplicate.
When I do Ctrl+A this will create a marquee around the layer?If it does then it's the same thing and I can then create a blur effect only on that selected area :)

When I do Ctrl+A this will create a marquee around the layer?If it does then it's the same thing and I can then create a blur effect only on that selected area :)
Ctrl+A will select the whole image I believe, you want to select just what is on the current layer, at least that is how I understand it. To do that I think that you have to Ctrl+Click on the thumbnail of the layer, not the text or anything, just the thumbnail... I think that is what you were asking.

Ctrl+A will select the whole image I believe, you want to select just what is on the current layer, at least that is how I understand it. To do that I think that you have to Ctrl+Click on the thumbnail of the layer, not the text or anything, just the thumbnail... I think that is what you were asking.
That may work... I was Ctrl+Clicking on the layer in the layer table but not actually on the thumbnail. I'll try that also. I wouldn't believe they would take that out.

That may work... I was Ctrl+Clicking on the layer in the layer table but not actually on the thumbnail. I'll try that also. I wouldn't believe they would take that out.
I know how you feel. I used CS2 when it first came out..I don't like it as much as CS1, they changed some of the stuff, just little things like that, but to some, like myself, it isn't exactly a little thing. I use that a lot.