ishost.exe

vchris

Nevermind I received it twice, the zip and rar versions. Dan: It seems like this version has less definitions than version 5. In 5 (trial) I had around 148000 and in this one I got like 106000 and I only found 3 cookies...The new version seems a lot better...

It wasn't able to remove my problem.I did fix the ishost issue though. I downloaded the Sophos antivirus 6, scanned and issue resolved :)

Remember Spy Sweeper can do many things, many sorts of threats, but no virusses. You should have an antivirus for that :)Spy Sweeper plus an antivirus and firewall is all you need, more would slow your machine and less would not be enough anti-threat.

you get malware from browsing websites...that is not doing anything wrong but you still get it.Malware is programs that get onto your computer from code that is executed when you view a webpage, open an email, or things like that.I can write a virus but if nobody ever opens it, it can't infect anybody.

And still I think the net can be infecting when you don't do anything :)Anyway, even if it is not, it is still a recommendation to have antivirus software, in case you still get virusses when you clicked or got redirected to a malicious site :)

And still I think the net IE can be infecting when you don't do anythingRule #1 of being a safe computer user: never use IE. Never as in not ever. IE is the Swiss cheese of secure products.I don't run a firewall or a virus scanner and I haven't been infected in years. The only things that come up on a security scan are cookies. The last few infections I got were browsing to sites like crack sites or something like that in IE, or by downloading and running programs that I should not have trusted. Your dad might not have done something specific to get an infection, but if he was browsing the web with IE, that is reason enough to get infected. Even on good sites. A Windows server can get hit with a specific vulnerability and get a worm installed on the server (such as Code Red) that will infect every visitor who uses IE. But still, they wouldn't have gotten infected if they didn't use IE..

What you describe from your pc, without using IE, is exactly that same to mine, when I DO use IE. Only with three pieces security software added (ZoneAlarm, Spy Sweeper and Norton Antivirus).But I don't say IE is less vulnerabe to threats, you're probably right on that one. I only say using IE doesn't mean you definately get infected.You could say I can do a lot better in downloading not three pieces of software but just one other browser, but if you didn't know that already (you probably do), IE is not the only entrance of a pc, so having that security added is not a bad thing anyway.

More security is never a bad thing, I'm not arguing against using security products. By all means, go ahead! I'm just saying that the way you use your computer is at least equally, probably more, important than any security software you have running.BUT, I could definately put on a new installation of Windows, start up IE and browse around to various disreputable sites, and pretty much be guaranteed that I will have malware waiting for me. This is actually how malware tests are done. I have seen comparisons of different spyware scanners, and the way they test them is to browse to a specific set of say 10 sites in IE that have known malware on them and seeing how effective the different products are at stopping them (I.E., seeing how many pieces of malware actually get installed vs. blocked).

Then its okay. :) I aggree IE is less protected against malware than other browsers, and that the usement of the computer is as much of importance than security software. That is, actually, the well usement, my fourth security. :) lol

• 2 weeks later...