centering stuff

sathish

Hello Everyone!I am trying to fine tune myself in CSS. Could someone please take a look at this http://www.snailinteractive.com/Untitled-2.gifand tell me how I could center stuffs like this depending on the screen resolution using CSS. I prefer the code and little bit of explanation.Thank You all,Sathish

iam no expert just started 4 weeks ago but i can some basic'sI use Coldfusion MXif i understand this right then its just text that you want centerd both horosontal and verticaladd this content inside the [name].css file

.text {	text-align: center;	vertical-align: middle;}

if you dont use class then delete the .text, I use it allot and i love it :)classes can be used in most tags but are not valid in all browsers just addclass="[name]" inside a tag so in this case it should be class="text"hope this will help if not then someone else will help :)

After some testing...

p {   text-align: center;   margin: 50% 0;}

Sorry for my previous post, I was wrong.EDIT: ok, that just doesn't work properly at all, it seemed to at first... Anyway, I don't know now. I woulda thunk vertical-align would be the way to go but it didn't work. :)

Edited by F-Man

• 2 years later...

Centering vertically is very hard.You can do it with absolute positioning, but your elements will be required to have a defined height.First you have to give the parent element a fixed height. If you want it centered in the whole window, you'll have to use 100% for the html and body elements:

html,body { height: 100%; }

After that, you have to give your element a fixed height:

.myElement {height: 10em;}

Then you have to position it absolutely and move it 50% from the top:

html,body { height: 100%; }.myElement {height: 10em;position: absolute;top: 50%;}

This leaves your element halfway down from the top of the document. Now you have to use a negative margin to move the element back up. You'll move it half of its height:

html,body { height: 100%; }.myElement {height: 10em;position: absolute;top: 50%;margin-top: -5em;}

Now your element will be centered compared to the window.If you want it centered compared to an element rather than the full window, be sure to make the parent element have a relative position:

.parentElement {position: relative;height: 400px;}.myElement {height: 10em;position: absolute;top: 50%;margin-top: -5em;}