W3S Forum Project: Discussion

Chocolate570

Not to sound rude, because that is their job...they get paid for it (ad revenue).That would do nothing for helping members of the community learn the processes of software development or improve their coding skills.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the community site idea, guestbook/photo gallery, etc, with user management. It could be added onto a lot. Granted, pretty much anything we do is going to be already done, but I don't think the point is to make something brand new as much as give everyone who worked on it (and others) a tool that we can be proud to use because everyone had a hand in making it. Not to mention the educational aspects.

I aggree with that, but I also think the usement of the creation is important. Besides the difficulty of the project, a website creator would be more useful (wanted) than a guestbook, wouldn't it? Just an example though.

I aggree with that, but I also think the usement of the creation is important. Besides the difficulty of the project, a website creator would be more useful (wanted) than a guestbook, wouldn't it? Just an example though.
Yes but 3 weeks is not enough time to create a CMS that has enough features to be worth while.

I think it's about time to start a poll, but I'm thinking that before the projects are even nominated, a poll should be taken to determine how many people are interested, and in which part. Once we can estimate that, it would be easier to figure out if just a guestbook, or a blog, or a small community site would fit.

The poll should just be allowed to run for a week or so to get as many people as possible in a reasonable time frame. I'll leave it up to the mods to decide when to start a poll though, but I do think that a poll on the number of people would be the right place to start. Again, I'll leave the decisions up to them.

The number itself is not to be the poll answer, but the amount of votes.I only say the more data of the votes we get, the more accurate the data would be, if it is the number of votes, the answers they vote for, the amount is important.But leave that, it was a side note anyway :)

I like the community site idea, guestbook/photo gallery, etc, with user management.
I have just a slightly better idea. I already have the paging XML with the help of andreathedove, ported to "stand alone XML with JS", PHP5, PHP4, ASP, probably ASP.NET, and if Skemcin just looks at it (hehe)- Cold Fusion.However, it still lacks a few major impovements:1. Admin panel for editing and adding entries to the XML.2. Some sort of interface for creating new catalogs, using new XMLs as data sources, and editing existing catalogues parameters, such as turning controls off, setting the default records per page, etc.3. Some styling. Currently it looks very plain. I'm not the one that can bring "life" to this application.4. Some usability work. Like ideas as to how the interface should be designed for what types of catalogues/galleries. What part of the settings should the user be able to manipulate? I already have a dropdown menu to change the records per page in an application I made recently, but I feel there's more.I can already see work for everyone:1. Unexperienced users can help with the usability features and (if applicable) the accessability ones.2. People that don't know any sort of scripting can help with the styling of the application. Styling for a variety of devices can also be included in the agenda if there's time left.3. People that know JavaScript can help the realization of the usability parts. I won't give examples, or I might get script for that on-the-fly.4. The server side scripting users could help with the creation of a GUI to manipulate the catalog. A close work with the styling people is invaluable, because the styling should be preserved there too.Note: The admin GUI musn't use MySQL. The whole point of XML based catalog/gallery is not to use MySQL and if possible, the admin GUI should be made as portable as the catalog itself, instead of being written in a single server side scripting language. If desired, I can design this panel, but someone else (the whole rest of W3Schools?) should still make the functionality.

Throwing XML and XSLT into the mix, in addition to the server-side language, might be a little too much for beginners. How do you authenticate the admin login if you don't have a database? Is it secure enough to store login information in an XML file?

For you guys wondering about the polls, please start PMing me manager nominations and idea suggestions (I don't want to go through the whole topic and pick out the ideas). When 5-10 ideas and a couple of manager nominations have been collected, I'll put up the ballots. :) Just PM me!

Throwing XML and XSLT into the mix, in addition to the server-side language, might be a little too much for beginners. How do you authenticate the admin login if you don't have a database? Is it secure enough to store login information in an XML file?
All the stylers really need is the output of the XSLT transformation and that isn't much of a problem.And the server side scripters only need to know the XSLT specific functions of their language of choise + be aware how each parameter should be validated. Even now, I can tell you that $recordsPerPage, $pageNumber must be a number and the $disablePaginationNativation*** can only be "true()".For the admin panel, the server people would need to know more, but then again, if they didn't, this would have been a piece of cake.As for the authentication... hm... that's a better point. XML files are definetly not secured for such things. Perhaps hardly coded in (another) PHP file, but still changable via the script?

Maybe we should extend the project deadline a bit.. We dont want this to be a waste, we want it to be a nice powerful product.I say it should be like a community place where people can upload photos and files, and there will be a forum and such.. just things you would want to use often. Since we already know PHP is most likely going to be the main lagnuage, im definetly in for the backend coding. I just cant wait to start!!!

I'm glad you can't. I'm making the poll topic right now, as we speak. And I'll think about the project deadline after everything else has been decided...but I don't want it to get boring! :)

And why wasn't my idea of a project included? I mean "gallery/catalog" or is it included as part of the "blog" concept?By the way, I never suggested I should be manager. I'm honored to be nominated :) .