W3S Forum Project: Discussion

Chocolate570

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man...this is a toughie. Basically everything has 1 vote. :)
I left my computer off for a whole day and i came back and wow there was a lot of posts here. I think we need more votes in the polls. I voted but um it didnt make any difference because i voted for things that nobody else had yet. I do think three weeks is a little short but if nobody is done and the interest is still there the dedline should be extended but i dont think it should be extended yet. we should push ourselves and try for the three weeks.

Lol, ill pass on the year part.. maybe :). But maybe the project should be like 6 weeks.. that wouldnt get too boring.I hope I dont get nominated :) I dont really want to be a manager (if I do get nominated, which I highly doubt will happen, please take me off!).

Lol, ill pass on the year part.. maybe :). But maybe the project should be like 6 weeks.. that wouldnt get too boring.
ooups...i didnt mean to restart the disscussion on how long the project should take but i was saying if it is way to short everyone will know by one or two weeks and a motion or something can be made and agreed upon to extend the dedline. like i said before lets try three weeks for our first project.

No, three weeks is too short.. I say 5-6 weeks, that way the project will at least be pretty nice... We might need some graphics people too though?
the need of graphics people depends on what we make. I dont think we should go overboard on graphics. mabey just use them for some buttons and smilies and like 1 main graphic twards the top or something.

Oh well... if my idea isn't going to be included, I might as well vote.I voted for a CMS (1 part at a time) because I think there isn't a way a full CMS can be acomplished in 3 weeks. The other projects like RSS reader and Guestbook are sort of CMSs too, so the same applies to them.For a manager I can only say I didn't voted for myself and like Jonas, I must say I never said I wanted to be a manager, but as said above, I don't really mind it :) .[edit]After reading the post below mine, I'm starting to regret my vote. The paging XML could easily be optimized to page RSS feeds, thus being integrated in the final application. There's even already a script to change the proper parameters. The missing part is integrating the script so it works from an (X)HTML page, and to make the JS function in a way which will allow it to manipulate every parameter. Some styling (again) is also requred, so there's work for CSS people too.Oh... Can I change my vote?[/edit]

Edited by boen_robot

I voted for chocolate because, well, he makes sense to me, and seems like a very organized person. Justsomeguy is very smart, but at times maybe a little too technical. I also voted for the RSS idea because it would be a great way to learn xml and ajax, something I havent really worked with before.thats my 2 cents :)

Oh... Can I change my vote?
I'll change your vote this time, but I won't be making a habit of it for the next person to ask. Make sure you know what you want to vote for, otherwise wait to vote.Moved one vote from CMS (1 part at a time) to AJAX RSS Reader.

Since posting in the poll is disabled, you might want to make it sticky so that it doesn't get buried.I appreciate the votes of confidence. I didn't vote for myself (I'm not sure how I would feel about being the manager), but I appreciate those that did.

None of them really sound exactly appealing to me now.. Except the CMS, which I know have no clue what it is. Could someone please explain what it is?
Content Management System. Basically a system that loads a template of some sort and fills in information that is stored in a database (the text and images) with interface screens to let you easily change text and so on.

Ah great! I thought it would be more of a system for controling a site, like an admin center, where you can have users and stuff like that =\.Im going to go look at that again, so aspnetguy when I post what I want can you change it please? Sorry..EDIT: okay, I voted for CMS, full one, and I would like to change to forum! So sorry! Big misunderstanding!!

Hmm, could it be like an entire website with features built in with it and such? Because thats what I would like to do, make a very ineractive site for users.. not one where you just read it all... Im not sure now =\

CMS generally is a admin panel for manipulating hte content the user sees. For a better understanding of what a CMS is look at joomla, they have a live demo you can play with.Joomla is more of a portal but the same concepts apply.

I have seen joomla before.. It was a while ago, like half a year ago? I dont really want to do the forum, guestbook, or blog. Just because they have been in PHP probably dozens of times, I would like to create something that not many other people have done! Maybe we need some new creative ideas on the poll?

so a CMS is sort of like what you use Aspnetguy, right?so a CMS is sort of like what you use, Aspnetguy. right?
:) this version of IPB does some weird things with double posting,etc.What I use for my site is in a way a type of CMS yes but instead of managing the contents of webpages it manages the contents of the forum and blogs.