Flash message boards

SirPaladin

I read many times about Flash message boards being an area in which many try to progress. I myself decided to learn some client/server actionscript, the first (failed) attempt being generating an XML using PHP (with database queries), and processing in in Flash. After a little simplifying, though, it worked... sorta.Last night I barely slept, thinking over and over of this problem (I should get a life, eh? :) ), and by reading my Flash book, I understood that inserting data into XML files with Flash is... possible. That`d grant me a way of trying it!But, of course, I`ll have to hope Flash is fast enough, and that I won`t give up. >__>Anyone else tried/though of this?

Flash message board is more complex than normal message board by PHP and SQLany messages must be converted into symbol and for only Ascii char :)
no necessarily true. the discussion board could be built using Flash Remoting which would give it the ability to interact with a database. Of course, using Flex2 would be an even better idea too.

no necessarily true. the discussion board could be built using Flash Remoting which would give it the ability to interact with a database. Of course, using Flex2 would be an even better idea too.
My idea would be PHP and MySQL, with the databased converted to XML using a PHP script, and then parsed by ActionScript.I haven`t got the slightest idea of Flex. I only heard of it.

using php to get the database data then convert it to XMl then read the XML with actionscript is a pretty intensive process that certainly isn't the most efficient method.You can pass data directly to flash from PHP and vice versa, why not do that? Or are there limitaions I am unaware of (I have only passed small pieces of data).

using php to get the database data then convert it to XMl then read the XML with actionscript is a pretty intensive process that certainly isn't the most efficient method.You can pass data directly to flash from PHP and vice versa, why not do that? Or are there limitaions I am unaware of (I have only passed small pieces of data).
I don`t know if it has limitations, but the one thing that surely has got limitations is my Flash manual.

• 1 month later...

I've seen it done, and it was awesome (the site is no longer up :)). I wish you good luck, you sound like a great programmer and I have faith in you. If you need any help with the Actionscript aspect of things, I may be some help, but not with PHP. Good luck!