Resolution

The Praetorian

What Resolution do you Use?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What Resolution Do you Use?

• 800x600 or smaller
    • 1024x768
    • Higher

1024x768 has been the standard computer resolution for 6 years now. So.. why are we still being asked to go through all the pain of having to make sure our web sites are compatible with outdated resolutions? How many people even use anything smaller than the standard?Thus.. the poll...<<Edited the poll>>

Edited by Jonas

The smaller resolution you're reffering to is 800x600, not 600x800. You've forgot to include "smaller" as a resolution too. You shold have written "800x600 or smaller". I hope the mods will fix it.We've been using this resolution as a standart, simply because monitors develop slower then Video Cards for example. People have different amount of money, so old monitors stay in fashion (that is... used by the most population) for 6+ years, whereas Video Cards remain in fashion for 1-3 years.I have a resolution of 1280x1024 on all of the monitors I use, but most of the clients at my (dad's) PC shop use 1024x748, because they still use 15'' CRT monitors. At the same time, I have LCDs. As far as I'm familiar with, in Japan, CED displays (or whatever were they were called) are also starting to get in use, but it will be quite a few years before they become available and affordable in Bulgaria.

800x600 is still the windows default and a lot of people don't know how to change it.Until this changes I keep designing for 800x600 to make it pleasant for everyone.
I do too, though I am planning to support a user setting at my site. So they can set themselves the resolution of the site to higher and more would be displayed :) But that is difficult, due to my difficult CSS. And I am no expert in CSS either so this could become a problem. Untill I know the sollution, I keep my site within the width of a lower resolution (800x600) :)

800x600 is still the windows default and a lot of people don't know how to change it.Until this changes I keep designing for 800x600 to make it pleasant for everyone.
Hm... I forgot about this issue. Most of the computers in Bulgaria come with a preinstalled Windwows XP that is set up by a shop like mine. The people there (including myself) usually adjust the resolution to the maximum the client's monitor could handle, so even if the client is unaware how to change the resolution, (s)he still gets the max.Because me and everyone of the business that I know does it like this, I've started to forget there's also the assemblers that only install Windows without even running it for the first time, and there's the third party, which installs Linux or doesn't install anything (some clients I have come from shops of that party).

I do too, though I am planning to support a user setting at my site. So they can set themselves the resolution of the site to higher and more would be displayed :) But that is difficult, due to my difficult CSS. And I am no expert in CSS either so this could become a problem. Untill I know the sollution, I keep my site within the width of a lower resolution (800x600) :)
I design a site 1 of 2 ways. Either liquid (percentages) or fixed width. I usually use a fixed width of 780 pixels and occasionally use percentages for forum style applications.I have on rare occasions used 625 pixels for a width to ensure maximum user happiness if the site will be for a very wide range of users.

I always use 1152 x 864 because it lets me read more and sharpens things up. As for when making a website, I use percentages, usually 30% navigation, 70% main body and 30% nothing or extra stuff. As for making it user friendly it works on 1024 x 768 and I think 800 x 600, but to over come any of these problems I just put in the satisfaction guaratee that I works best in 1024 x 768+ and IE.

I voted 1024x768, because that's what I have on the laptop I'm using, but when I get my PC up here, I'll be using 1280x1024. 19 inch LCD and Geforce 7800GT 256MB graphics card. :)

I voted 1024x768, because that's what I have on the laptop I'm using, but when I get my PC up here, I'll be using 1280x1024. 19 inch LCD and Geforce 7800GT 256MB graphics card. :)
nice I really need to get a MoBo with PCIe :) I have a GeForce MX 4000 128Mb...thing runs way too hot.

I've got a laptop with 1280x800 15.4" with an external 15" 1024x768 monitor next to it. And several more 15-and-17" monitors in the garage

I'm about to connect a TV tuner to my monitor, so it displays TV :) All the tv tuner does is, without a computer, takes an input of cable and outputs a vga signal which the monitor can pick up and use. :)

This poll doesn't really show the true percentage of people using certain resolutions because this forum is for coders and designers meaning they probably won't use the same size resolutions as a 'civilian' would.Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Screw it. I'm not going through all the pain and trouble of trying to code my website for people who probably aren't even interested in the content. I can pretty much guarantee that anyone interested in the content of my website will be using a high enough resolution to see the website the way it's meant to be seen. If I ever do anything professional, I'll be sure to do it the right way, but for now, it's just not worth the trouble.</rant>