Deprecated items

amaterasu

I have been cruising around, looking at XHTML stuff and keep running into mentions of "deprecated" tags. I was looking for a way to put a border around an image (for example) and was told that the "border" tag had been deprecated in XHTML... I know in the Strict DTD, I can't use the "border" tag - but I have no idea how I would do borders. Is it that one CAN'T put borders around images in Strict DTD? Or is it that there is some other way?My suggestion is that when you mention something has been deprecated, you also either explain that the function is not available in some arenas, or describe the alternative way of accomplishing the goal.Other than that, I am LOVING this site! Thanks so much!

Or is it that there is some other way?
Yes border tag is a gonner and you must now use css, i would suggest you learn that after you get to grips with xhtml.Example: http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?fil...ss_border-style
My suggestion is that when you mention something has been deprecated, you also either explain that the function is not available in some arenas, or describe the alternative way of accomplishing the goal.
Yeah fair point, it's something we talked about a few months back: http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.ph...c=5220&st=0And here was the outcome http://dhost.info/profmemberone/Pages/deprecated.php(not sure if Dan got round to finishing it off :) )

About the deprecated items page I made, it is still available and will be indefinitely, as long as my host lasts. :)click here: http://dhost.info/profmemberone/Pages/deprecated.phpIt hasn't been changed, as for nothing has been requested to be changed. Anything? just ask :)[*Edit:]This is the new version, previously the file was called "deprecated.htm". But because that was not suitable for my website, I rewrote it into php. This is a one-time only change.You can now add a parameter to the URL to automatically open either the Elements area or the Attributes area.deprecated.php?area=elementsdeprecated.php?area=atributes

Edited by Dan The Prof

Maybe we can make that page into a page with every html tag on it? Like PHP.net, without a search (for now). I just think that would be really freaking cool :). It would also be very helpful! Then maybe later we could add in javascript tags and such.Just a thought! Also, if enough people use it and we use the example from w3schools and link to here a bunch more people would come to here :).

originally the whole point that they developed this list (my understanding anyways) was because there is no good documentation on all the depreciated tags and their replacements.Adding all html tags is kind of a waste of time...there are so many lists of html tags out there...unless Dan wants to add them so he has a full centralized list.

• 8 months later...

The topic has gone under indeed, may there not be an extra sticky topic in the HTML forums?My page is still available, at a new location though, read above post. The old location now shows a redirect message.As the page is now connected to my website, and takes part of the template, you can now navigate to my website from it and back again.Please update your favorites if desired! This is one-time only, with php I can support any future redirects at the server myself.

The topic has gone under indeed, may there not be an extra sticky topic in the HTML forums?My page is still available, at a new location though, read above post. The old location now shows a redirect message.As the page is now connected to my website, and takes part of the template, you can now navigate to my website from it and back again.Please update your favorites if desired! This is one-time only, with php I can support any future redirects at the server myself.
Uhm, I liked it better the way it was before. After you added the navigation to your site and changed the colour scheme, it breaks hideously in Opera. :)

I know, in FireFox it is not as good as it was intended either.. But I had to put the tables in clickable areas, as my site does not want horizontal nor vertical scrollbars on any page.I am working on it, at least in Internet Explorer it shows correctly. The problem is the menu, it is placed by style, not by a table, so anything that gets next to it, well, you see what happens. There must be a sollution though, and I will find it no worry :)[*Edit:]Hows Opera viewing it now? Placed the areas in a stupid table. IE as well as FF show it correctly now...

Edited by Dan The Prof

I see.. could you take a look in IE or FF, to see how it should look like?While the height property is deliberately not equal to its parent, though I defined "overflow:scroll", so it should react as a scrollable area, just as in IE and FF :) However, As I see form your screen, I take it Opera doesn't support this "overflow"? Not sure. Should :)

Opera does support overflow. Try overflow:auto; instead of scroll, see what happens then.

It may have also been the "overflow-y:scroll" that did not work. Maybe browsers support "overflow" rather than overflow-x/overflow-y.Now it is set to overflow:auto. Both IE and FF still render it correctly, and Opera? (I only have Opera installed at my work, not here..)

Looks great now. :)Overflow-y: scroll; is pretty much the same as overflow: auto; anyway. Overflow: auto; will only give you scrollbars if they're needed, and will break the content to fit horizontally if possible. Overflow: scroll; will give you both a vertical and horizontal scrollbar. I think there's a possibility that Opera won't work with overflow-y without an overflow-x property as well, and overflow sets them both.When in doubt, use overflow: auto; is what I say. :)

I specificially want the areas to be only vertical scrollable, so I used overflow-y :)It did not come to me to specify -x too for compatibility, I will from now on.So, it looks great :)? Would you now want to go back to the .htm version again? :)

I specificially want the areas to be only vertical scrollable, so I used overflow-y :)It did not come to me to specify -x too for compatibility, I will from now on.So, it looks great :)? Would you now want to go back to the .htm version again? :)
Well, I don't really care, as long as the content is readable. The links to your site I'm not going to click anyway, because I can't read or speak dutch. The last design (the .htm files as you say) definetely had something going for them as well, simple tables with colours corresponding to the ones on w3schools.com. Both are great I suppose. :blink:

...The links to your site I'm not going to click anyway, because I can't read or speak dutch...
That will come, that will come :blink: When I am ready for it and if it is possible the way I want it, the site will be Dutch as well as English :) You might even like it :) I have lots of good stuff there to be found, especially for programmers like us.. Online editors for text, files, databases, text converting forms, upload scripts, all sharable :) Though it is all in an early stage. This page for deprecated items is only a small 'gift' for the site, as it consists of lots of more great tools that help developement. :blink: