Passing parameters within a form

jmfekete

Hi,My index page has two text fields where they input what they want to do a search on and in what city, and then hit submit. I am then supposed to pass those 2 parameters into the form's "action". For example:<form name="search" method="post" action="http://blahblah/blah.aspx?zipcode=PARAMETER1&item=PARAMETER2" id="search"> <table width="60%" border="0" align="center" name="tblInfo"> <tr> <td width="30%"><input name="whatTxt" type="text" id="whatTxt" onKeyDown="(search,event)"></td> <td width="33%"><input name="locationTxt" type="text" id="locationTxt" onKeyDown="(search,event)"></td> <td width="37%"><input name="Search" type="submit" id="Search" value="Search"></td> </tr> <tr> <td>What are you looking for?</td> <td>Where are you looking for it?</td> <td></td> </tr> </table></form>How can I set PARAMETER1 and PARAMETER2 to the text entered by the user once they click on "Search"?I thought that if I put the field's ID name in place of PARAMETER1 and PARAMETER2 in the action URL that it might pass them through, but I was sadly mistaken.Thanks to anyone who can shed some light!

just set the forms method="get" and it is done automatically.
Hi,Thanks for the quick response. I need to use the post method because my index page (which is local on my machine) interfaces with an ASPX page which is sitting on a server when the search is submitted. So I need to pass those parameters into the "Action" URL somehow, but I am not quite sure how.Any ideas?Thanks again!

you would have to use javascript for that, but then you will have the same 2 fields passed as post and get...is this what you are going for?
Well, because this project serves as a "search" function, I only want to use post. I have a login/password to access the server's URL where the ASPX page resides (which is added to the form's action), but I cannot seem to pass those 2 parameters that the user inputs along to the ASPX so that the search can begin.I hope that made sense.

you could do something like this

<html><head>	<title>GET example</title>	<script type="text/javascript">			function sendSearch()		{			var param1 = document.getElementById('param1');			var param2 = document.getElementById('param2');			var theForm = document.forms[0];			theForm.action += "?param1=" + param1.value + "&param2=" + param2.value;			theForm.submit();		}		</script></head><body>	<form action="search.aspx" method="post">			Param 1: <input type="text" id="param1" name="param1"/>		<br/>		Param 2: <input type="text" id="param2" name="param2"/>		<br/>		<input type="button" value="Search" onclick="sendSearch()"/>		</form></body></html>