MAC Pros and Cons

vchris

If we're comparing cooling fan count, at last count I think my system had 12 fans in it. Not all the normal size, that includes some smaller front-drive-bay fans, a system blower, etc. But when I got my Radeon 9800 XT Pro a couple years ago in preparation for Doom 3, my system kept going up to around 125 degrees and shutting down, so I packed in as many fans as I could. My cable system isn't exactly a work of art, and some of the fans are only held on by 1 screw (because my massive power supply blocks the other holes), and it sort of sounds like a Harrier jumpjet taking off, but hey, at least it doesn't shut down anymore.
Bahaha! I think that is great.. 12 fans :).Anyways, how much would it cost for me to build my own personal computer, just for coding and maybe a game.. like warcraft 3 battle.net :)?Or if not possible, just coding? I think I can live without a game for a while, and just use this comp. for it.Keep in mind: im dont have much money cause im not old enough for a job :blink:.Can anyone recommend me to a hardware forum or something where I can start learning about computers actually? I would really like that :).

I'm not sure what the hardware requirements for Warcraft are, but for programming you only need maybe $300 or so for all the components, minus the monitor. You can get a motherboard with integrated video, sound, and network, and besides that you need a CPU, hard drive, RAM, case/power supply, and a CD or DVD drive. The forums at tomshardware.com have over 1.2 million posts, so that might be a good spot.

hmm.. maybe I could make my own case thats really cheap? Because, I dont exactly have that much =\.I can deal without using warcraft, but I must have firefox! :)Ill start saving some money, or wait until my brother in law has a comp. to throw away.

Back to the pros and Cons...My girlfriend has a Mac, which, after having it for a few years still runs better than my brand new pc. Not as fast, but alot more stable and without all the glitches.Also, in all honesty, with Apple you get awesome customer service, where as Dell's customer service is awful. Like AOL, alot of their call centers are in other countries, so when you call you're getting someone in India who barely speaks english and is reading from a script and could probably care less about your computer problems. (This is from personal experience, by the way. With both Dell and AOL.)My girlfriend is always telling me how awesome the tech support people at Apple are. With Mac, you can take your Apple into any Mac store in the country and make an appointment to get it fixed there.I plan to buy both, however. In all honesty, Mac can't compete with PC's for gaming. Not yet at any rate. PC's are just way more powerful than Mac's are right now. Which may change before the next time I buy a computer, but for now, I plan to get a PC for games and a MAC for the internet.

I agree with you The Praetorian, PC have the advantage on games. The thing is I plan to buy a modded xbox 1 for my games and a MAC for web development and all my multimedia (movies, music, photos...) The thing with a modded xbox is it can connect to the network and get your movies, music, photos and more off your computer, it can even connect to the net and browse and stuff... My buddy has a setup like that with his PC and xbox. But of course the xbox is by micro$oft so there's some bugs.

I'm pretty sure I'll buy one. I checked and the new OS 10.5 leopard is only coming out at the end of this year. So I'll probably buy it at the end of the year. Unless, is it possible to update to 10.5? If yes I bet it's with a fee.