Replace string function not working properly

jmfekete

Hi,I saw a snippet of code in Javascript for replacing space characters with another character. I have tried using it in a function() but my web pages is not working because of the while loop I've added.I have 2 text boxes on my page and want to replace any spaces in the string with "+".The code that I have found on this site is as follows:var loopProtect = 0;while(str.indexOf(" ") != -1 && loopProtect < str.length){str = str.replace(\ \,"+");loopProtect++;}Thanks!

hmmm. no luck.Here's some of my code to help you understand what's going on a little more:<script type="text/javascript"> function sendSearch(){var param1 = document.getElementById('param1');var param2 = document.getElementById('param2');var theForm = document.forms[0]; --> This is where i want to add the bit of code to replace " " with "+". theForm.action += "&searchTerm=" + param1.value + "&zipcode=" + param2.value;theForm.submit();}</script></head><body class="pageBG"><form name="search" method="post" action="http://blahblah/blah.aspx?" id="search"><table width="52%" border="0" align="center" name="tblInfo" class="tblProp"><tr><td class="TLHeading" colspan="3">TrueLocal Web Assignment</td></tr><tr><td width="42%"><input name="param1" type="text" id="param1" /></td><td width="39%"><input name="param2" type="text" id="param2" /></td><td width="19%" align="center"><input name="Search" type="button" id="Search" value="Search" onClick="sendSearch()"></td></tr><tr><td class="textContent">What are you looking for?</td><td class="textContent">Where are you looking for it?</td><td></td></tr></table></form>So how can I write code to search through param1 for spaces in the text?Thanks!

That while loop worked for me. Here's how you might incorporate it into your script:

<script type="text/javascript"> function sendSearch(){var param1 = document.getElementById('param1');var param2 = document.getElementById('param2');var theForm = document.forms[0];// Here is where you strip the spaces and replace it with '+'s //param1.value = stripSpaces(param1.value);param2.value = stripSpaces(param2.value);theForm.action += "&searchTerm=" + param1.value + "&zipcode=" + param2.value;theForm.submit();}// Here is a new stripSpaces function using your previous code:function stripSpaces(str){  var loopProtect = 0;  while(str.indexOf(" ") != -1 && loopProtect < str.length)  {	str = str.replace(" ","+");	loopProtect++;  }  return str;}</script>