Trouble getting my site in css

Guest oasix

Hi all, O'm heaving a lot of trouble getting my layout to work without tables. I'm working on site that has a simple layout to construct from tables but, i would to place them in css. The problem is that everytime that i try someting that the content text is at the same place as the menu, not readable offcourse.my goal is to make a site with a header for starters, following 3 columns that are respectfully, the navigation, the body (content), and the right column (for example external links or latest news), and offcourse at the bottom the footer. (I hope that this is readable and imagenable)well i was thinking of using one layer for the header, one for the 3 columsn and one for the footer. and then filling this layers with some boxes, for example in the middle layer i want the menu to display different modules (from the site) and the content the news for example. well i have read that the layer should be an relative positioned layer, and that the contianers within could be placed using an absolute valua, (this should then calculate it's position from the layer if i'm correct). But somehow the text overlaps, or the text gets on the next line. Below is my current script. (very basic and changing due to trying things)well thank you in advanceGreetings oasix

style.css#base {	position:relative;	left: 20px;}#nav_bar {	position: relative;	left: 20px;}#right {	position: absolute;	right: 20px;}#content {	position: relative;	right: 20px;}

index.html<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"><html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css" /></head><body><div id="base">	<div id="nav_bar">	right nav	</div>	<div id="content">	content	</div>	<div id="right">	right	</div></div></body></html>