computer networking/ netwrok administration

fmwanje

Ok. That was very informing..... not.What do you have in mind? How exactly can we help you? I mean, this forum is for web developers, not network administrators, but some of us also know a thing or two about networks.Can you go to a course about networks or anything? Do you have some network hardware ar your disposal? Anything...?

I have a bachelors Degree in applied mathematics, I want to do computer networking/ network administration. How should I go about it? :)
Books, college, hands-on experimentation. Choose any two.

I do not appreciate the rude, insensitive nature of the first few replies here - can we try to be a little more accommodating and polite? I can understand if there were a conversation already started and wasn't going anywhere, but these replies are just blind side this person. Come on, we are nicer than that.As for a more appropriate answer . . .Having already earned your bachelors there are a few routes to go. The two more common are to either go back to school to earn a degree (bachelor or masters) in Computer Science - specializations vary with each school so you'll have to speak with a counselor to figure that out. The second is to simply take a slew of certification classes. Companies like Cisco and Microsoft (for example) offer courses that certify you in the use of their software. These certifications are what the majortity of companies look for (as a minimum) to be certain that you know what you are doing.Let me know if you need any more information.

Actually, I took some networkling in college and was very lost but have recently bought a router and built 2 spare PCs for testing and stuff. I find that my hands on experience has done much more for me then the college courses I took.I would suggest playing with your own home network if that is an option for you.

Actually, I took some networkling in college and was very lost but have recently bought a router and built 2 spare PCs for testing and stuff. I find that my hands on experience has done much more for me then the college courses I took.I would suggest playing with your own home network if that is an option for you.
err, I hate it when I fail to mention the obvious . . . I've never taken a course for networking and have set up several local business networks. I guess I was just thinking of the bigger picture - great point aspnetguy.