Is there free hosting to offer DNLD from my site?

ina123

Hi, I need to offer to my visitors a download. I made a file in self-extracting .exe format, but if necessary can remake it in .rar. File size is under 1M. I plan 100-300 dnlds per month.I checked a few, and they do not allow ftp download. I have a paid hosting at GoDaddy ($4 a month), but can not figure out if it's possible by them ether.Also, do I just create a folder and upload an exe file there? What permissions the folder should have?And, how to search the web for such hosting?

If you want this file to be public, you can simply place it in the folder and give a link to it. Most hosts should allow you to place all sorts of content on your site, so placing an exe or rar shouldn't be a problem.I you need to offer it to only a selected group of people, it gets harder. You need either a host that will offer you a custom FTP service, or .htaccess and .htpasswd abilibites for HTTP authentication. In any way, having your own server is the best way to go for this.

If you have your own server, what other than setting it up and keeping it on 24 do you have to do?
Fill it up with content for starters :) . Installing additional modules such as PHP and MySQL is an option, but it's not requred :) .

If you want this file to be public, you can simply place it in the folder and give a link to it. Most hosts should allow you to place all sorts of content on your site, so placing an exe or rar shouldn't be a problem.I you need to offer it to only a selected group of people, it gets harder. You need either a host that will offer you a custom FTP service, or .htaccess and .htpasswd abilibites for HTTP authentication. In any way, having your own server is the best way to go for this.
I planned to have it "semi-public". Not allow browsing of directories, and change the folder name where I keep the file 1 a month or so. Geocities definetely not allow ftp dnld. On other hosts, you just go to a directory you just created, and there is no any button for "upload file" or something. So I can not even upload file, only create a directory. GoDaddy have "ftp client" but it does not open for me so far ("page not found").If I manage to upload, there are bandwidth restrictions.I wonder how so many people sell digital content on eBay and everywhere. When you say "your own server" you mean paid hosting of some domain name, or "dedicated server" - which is expensive?

As far as I understand it you are having trouble uploading the file to your paid account. You will need a FTP Client to do this.You can find FTP Clients at: Search for FTP Clients at www.downloads.comThey require you to fill in the following information about your FTP account:

• FTP adress
  • Username
  • Password

After inserting this information (witch every FTP Client has it's own way for so if you do not know how to you need to read it's manual) you can upload your file in the desired location.Ruud Hermans.