MySQL/Ubuntu user Creation error

Chocolate570

A friend needs some help. He says:

My question is: I'm running MySQL 4.0.x on the latest Ubuntu, but I can't seem to create users properly. And no, I can't update my MySQL at this time. And/or how do I get the people who run my package system to update?
Can anyone answer this? Thanks. :)~Chocolate570

Hey,Can you (I mean your friend) be a little more specific for each of the questions:a.) "I can't seem to create users properly."Is this being attemped through a web page application on a particular site or is this related to connecting to the database through an administration tool?b.) "And/or how do I get the people who run my package system to update?"Who are "the people" and are you(sorry, your friend) referring to finding out how to ask the hosting provider to update MySQL?Hope you (err, sorry, your friend) finds this helpful.P.S. Sorry for poking fun, I couldn't resist. :)

Friend Says:I'm running on a private server, not a hosting server. I've tried using the MySQL Monitor (mysql -u root) and CREATE USER x; (which is claims I have a syntax error in) and I've tried MySQL administrator (Bother versions)Second Reply-Wait, in responce to the second guy, I can create/delete users cia mysql-administrator, but I can't edit/grant/revoke after I save changes, I can only do that when I create the user.

Friend Says:I'm running on a private server, not a hosting server. I've tried using the MySQL Monitor (mysql -u root) and CREATE USER x; (which is claims I have a syntax error in) and I've tried MySQL administrator (Bother versions)Second Reply-Wait, in responce to the second guy, I can create/delete users cia mysql-administrator, but I can't edit/grant/revoke after I save changes, I can only do that when I create the user.

Well, I'm out - I do not claim to know much about MySQL Monitor. I do wonder if the database is on a shared hosting environment or running on a LAN web server. If it is the former, I am not sure that most providers allow you to create users - but like I said, I'm too new to MySQL to help on this one (unless is was code related).Sorry.

Well, I can't say I am a MySQL expert either...but I love to learn and this sounds like a good one to try and figure out. I will see what I can dig up tomorrow. But in the meantime, if you can create/delete users....if needed, when you want to edit rights, you could just delete the user and re-create them with the rights they had previously (with the modified one's added/deleted). Its an ugly fix, but it seems to me that it would work for now until a better solution can be found.I'll let you know if I can find anything else on the issue. As of right now I have just seen how to add user's in MySQL 4.0 using GRANT and INSERT commands. I have not seen any that could be used to do updates, but like I said I am interested so I'll look around when I get a chance.