Display Resolution versus Browser Size

Guest Antonimo

Guest Antonimo

As a website developer, I often check the statistics here at w3schools regarding display resolution (as well as some others).On my own machines I use a display resolution of 1600 x 1200 or 1680 x 1050 but I have a keyboard shortcut (created by AHK) to resize my browser to 1024 x 768 giving me plenty of desktop space to see other programs etc.I am wondering if anybody is aware of any statistics that show the browser size chosen by users instead of display resolution.It is fairly pointless to see a growth in display resolutions above 1024 x 768 if those users like to have their browser set to a particular size with the ability to have additional desktop space.Although I have a high display resolution, I am very happy to view websites at a width of 1024 (especially if they have a "fluid" css design up to that resolution and to increase the depth of the page.Can anyone suggest where the display resolution versus actual browser size statsitics may be found?Would anyone like to comment or develop this line of thought further?Regards,

Hi and welcome to the site.Although it is possible, conceptually) to track that information, it is not something that is commnicate to the web server when a page is requested. The window size of a browser can only be determined by javasript once the page is loaded and therefore is not returned to the server unless programmed to. Again, its possible to do it, its just that every website would need to be programmed to send the results.In the 10+ years I've been developing sites, I've also almost always used a higher resolution than what seemed acceptible to design for. having said that, I've come to determine that checking with the latest news on various useability sites tends to be a good guage. I always trip my designs by 25 to 50 pixels top, bottum, and on each side to accommodate user installed tool bars. So, currently, I design to 975x715 with liquid layouts.hope that helps.