What is your actual upload / download speed.

Ruud Hermans

Many ISP's give flase information ore don't explain the small letters to you in their contract about you upload and download speed.According to my ISP:

Download: 8000 kbit/sUpload: 1200 kbit/s
I would like to know if some one knows a good website to test this couse after running a few tests the results are to spreaded for all to be in the right direction.Shorlty I don't trust these tests and would like to know if some one can verify and point me out to one that works.Ruud Hermans

my ISP claims 10MBit download speeds or 1.25 Mbytes/second, I am not sure of my upload speed but I have actually exceeded this download speed with 1.7 MB/Sec when downloading from microsoft.com.The best way to test for realistic download speeds is to download a large file from a busy site (like MS) and see what the average speed is during the download.

There is an extra thing for firefox that shows you your diagnostics. Im not sure if I still have it though.EDIT: still have it, its called broadand speed test and diagnostics

Justsomeguy, I've tried that site millions of times and still it gives me the wrong results. I dunno. I've tested my speed on many other sites and they always give me about the same figure, besides 100kbps here or there. But on that site, it's putting me 4MB/sec wrong :S

There's a difference between Kbit/s and KB/s. The first is "kilobits per second" while the second is "kilobytes per second".Most applications you use mesure the speed in KB/s. The files you download are also mesured in KB/s. Only ISPs and network administrators use Kbit/s.The reason is that Kbit/s it's a more precise mesurement then KB/s.1B/s = 8bit/s1KB/s = 8Kbit/s.1MB/s = 8Mbit/s1GB/s = 8Gbit/sand so on...So when your ISP claims to support for example 256Kbit/s, this means the speed you'll see is 256:8=32KB/s.The example above of 8000 kbit/s is therefore actually 1000KB/s. And no, that's not exactly 1MB/s though it's pretty close. 1MB/s is 1024KB/s or 8192Kbit/s.