What books are you currently reading?

Ruud Hermans

Just wondering what books people are reading at the moment, for me it's the following list:Build your own webserver - John HendriksWriting secure code - Micrsosoft PressMySQL- Paul DuBoisCreating cool websites with HTML, XHTML and CSS - Dave TaylorGot more on the shelf but if I read more then 4 books at the same time I get confused.Ruud Hermans

Go MySQL Bible! Woot!No dummies books for me. I'm way past that. I'm at:"PHP for moronic idiots who look for self-degrading book titles":)(Ok, it's PHP for dummies.)

"PHP for moronic idiots who look for self-degrading book titles"
lol :) I'm reading Patricia Caldwell - Predator :) Ok ok so you want computer books only :) I have ebook version of AJAX for Dummies and AJAX something or other

No books for me, thank you. If I evenr get one for a gift, I would definetly appeciate it though. Bying a book for something I can learn from the internet is what stops me every time I pass a bookstore.

Edited by boen_robot

No books for me, thank you. If I even get one for a gift, I would definetly appeciate it though. Bying a book for something I can learn from the internet is what stops me every time I pass a bookstore.
Well said, I do not buy books either

I'm reading AI for Game Developers. Needed a break from all the .NET stuff. :)I agree that you can find a lot of information on the internet, but sometimes you can't beat a well written book. If you don't want to purchase one, check it out at your local library. I haven't bought a book in years.

I would challenge that claim. When it comes to computer books at our local library the best read you would probably find it Windows 98 for Dummies or Visual Basic 5 :)
I would be lucky to find even that in a library :) .

I would be lucky to find even that in a library :) .
I guess I'm lucky, our library system rules! 744 results found for "programming".Our library system encourages us to offer suggestions on books that they should purchase to make the library better. Maybe yours does too.Enough about the libraries from me though. :)

I would challenge that claim. When it comes to computer books at our local library the best read you would probably find it Windows 98 for Dummies or Visual Basic 5 :)
well, all my library has for computer books is stuff about MSDOS or maybe one about Windows 95, and a few on surfing the internet. :) I live in a tiny town and have to drive to the next one (about ten miles) to go there anyway.

I live in a big city (the second biggest in Bulgaria) but it's just that the term "library" isn't as modernized as is in other countries. The term "library" implies ONLY a place with literature that you can rent and nothing more.What I mean is that there's no library with a site, or a library with a computer. In the best case, there'll be one for the manager to track books on. There are no... um... how should I say it... reading tables... only shelves. At least that's the situation in every library in my town that I have visited.Then again, I haven't been into a library the past 5 years, so things might have changed a bit. But they probably aren't... the key factor that's missing is "money". In order to get something from a library, you just pay a single 10 BGN (about 6 USD) registration fee and nothing more. Only overdue books are paid then on (I don't know if that's the system in other countries). Other then that, libraries are sponsored either by the goverment which prefers to give money for education then on libraries (which I think is the right choise) and by individuals that donate books. Scince stuff like "Programming" is university work for some people and a new discovery for others (like myself and everyone that has started with this the last couple of years) finding OLD books in libraries donated by anyone is impossible. Finding NEW ones in bookstores or stands is a lot easier, but as I said, bying a book for something I can learn on the internet always stops me.C(++) is probably the only language for which I don't feel this way, but with it I feel too unconfident to start. If I could only take a peek into what it can TRULY do with few lines of code, instead of getting lost in learning it for nothing, I would have changed my mind and buy a book for it.

boen, unfortunately programming with C++ requires you to start with stupid, meaningless projects, command line based, to get the basics of the language. Useing graphics and making UI is very intense in C++ (from what I have found so far), unless you give in and use MS Visual C++ to make Windows Forms.This a great beginner tutorial that I used when first learning. It is very detailed and thorough, http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/.To take a look at how monsterous graphics can be take a look at this site of OpenGL tutorials, http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Wow, the internet is a small place. When I was in school working on my OpenGL project a few years ago, I was using the NeHe site a lot. Aside from the content, I like how you can choose a theme for the site and customize the layout of it. It has plenty of good tutorials and articles about the wonders of matrix multiplication as well.

I fund NeHe to be one of few places that provide decent OpenGL stuff. I found a lot of C++ forums were full of idiots making fun of my questions and telling me that OpenGL was too hard for me to learn and not to bother...Well how do I learn it then >_> anyway then I found NeHe and have been happy ever since, in terms of OpenGL anyways.