ASP.NET newbie

RightPilot

I am familiar with ASP. Just started working in .NET. I am testing locally on IIS. My question is can you and if so how do you view/test .aspx pages locally?I am able to view the .asp pages without problem but cannot bring up the .aspx page..Windows XP ProNET framework 2.0IE 6.0any other requirements?RP

Yes you can, at least I could when I tried... Its like Java considering thats what its based off of and its pre-compiled so its already in binary, your computer wont need anything but itself to read the binary, unlike ASP.

Since you worked with ASP before I assume IIS was already installed when you installed the .Net framework, correct?Now what is happening when you go to http://localhost/test.aspx?DO you get an error or just a white screen?
IIS is installed. I have the same page in .asp and it runs fine. I get the following message when I run http://localhost/mytest.aspx: Server Application Unavailable The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request. Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occurHere is the code:
<html><body><%response.write("Hello World!")%></body></html>

in the IIS treeview you went to "Websites" expanded it to see Default Website right? Well, above Websites it should say Application Pools or App Pools. Expand App Pools and right click on Default App Pool and choose recycle.

in the IIS treeview you went to "Websites" expanded it to see Default Website right? Well, above Websites it should say Application Pools or App Pools. Expand App Pools and right click on Default App Pool and choose recycle.
correct, thats where I went. However, Application Pools does not exist. I checked our actual server and it exists there. Why would it be missing on my PC? is it due to an older version of IIS? Can this possibly have to do with the problem that I am having?thanks for your help so far. I really appreciate it.Right P

It sahould be there. You said you are using XP Pro, that has IIS 5.1. I do my developemnt on XP PRO and it has that option. It is also on IIS6 (Win server 2003).The best I can suggest is to uninstall the .Net framework, then uninstall IIS (you'll need your XP CD) then install IIS, then .Net framework.Is it possible for you to post a screenshot of your IIS manager with the left tree fully expanded?

Could it be your code? Your code as posted caused an error for me.Try changing it from:

<html><body><%response.write("Hello World!")%></body></html>

To:

<html><body><%Response.Write("Hello World!");%></body></html>

I don't have "Application Pools" in my IIS either, but I've been developing .NET stuff on this computer for years.

I must be mistaken about the application pools. I use Server 2003 at work and on 2 of my machines at home, I only have 1 machine with XP Pro.LOL I didn't even look at the code. It is indeed wrong but would not (should not) give the mentioned error. It should give an error about there being no object called request.

LOL I didn't even look at the code. It is indeed wrong but would not (should not) give the mentioned error. It should give an error about there being no object called request.
Which is the error I got. I thought maybe it was since I had a Web.config file set up to display those errors. However, I deleted the web.config file and the I still got the "response does not exist in the current context".Looking closer at the error message, RightPilot:
Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur
Have you looked at that log?

Which is the error I got. I thought maybe it was since I had a Web.config file set up to display those errors. However, I deleted the web.config file and the I still got the "response does not exist in the current context".Looking closer at the error message, RightPilot:Have you looked at that log?
Well, after uninstalling and reinstalling everything AND making the changes per jesh, I am now getting this error:The XML page cannot be displayed Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource 'http://localhost/mytest.aspx'. Line 3, Position 2 <%

run this in the command line (2 seperate commands)aspnet_regiis -uaspnet_regiis -iSounds like .Net didn't register itself with IIS on install. I had the same problem whne setting up my web server. I ran both of these commands and it corrected the problem.

run this in the command line (2 seperate commands)aspnet_regiis -uaspnet_regiis -iSounds like .Net didn't register itself with IIS on install. I had the same problem whne setting up my web server. I ran both of these commands and it corrected the problem.
Woohoo! that did it. Thanks aspnetguy AND jesh for all your help...Right P