How do I extract this RSS/XML data and put into HTML?

christopherpm

I have an XML/RSS feed that I want to extract some data from, and I really don't know how....I can get most bits of data out of the feed, but my problem lies with these two issues:-<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>- <rss version="2.0" xmlns:abouttown="there is a URL here">- <channel> <title>My title</title> <description>My description</description> <abouttown:location city="A City Name" country="UK" />- <image> <title>Image Title</title> </image>- <item> <title>Item Title</title> </item> ............ 1) How do I extract the city and country from the above to display in my HTML document?2) There is a Channel tag, and Image tag and an Item tag (in that order) - within each of these there is a Title tag - I want to get the Title tag from Item. How do I get that?I would appreciate any help (and apologise if this seems like a stupid question).Thank you.

What language will you be using to get the data? What do you have at your disposal? JavaScript only? Or is there a server side scripting language too? If there is, what is it? PHP, ASP.NET, Cold Fusion, JSP...?By the way, your document isn't a valid RSS document, though it is a well-formed XML one.

From what I have gathered so far, I assume I have to use getElementsByTagNameNS but I still cannot get the result I want which is to show the value of "city" from abouttown:locationAny ideas?

You may simply use some of the XML functions. Either Expath, DOM or simple XML.Scince Simple XML is... well... simple, here's a sample of what might work for you:

<?php$xml = simplexml_load_file("test.xml");$result = $xml->xpath("/rss/channel/abouttown:location/@city");print_r($result);?>

It's getting close, but in the example above, using my actual xml file, I get the following result:-Array ( [0] => SimpleXMLElement Object ( [0] => Fort William ) ) The actual city name is "Fort William", and it is just that text that I want to display - can the other text be stripped off?ALSO, my web host is using PHP 4.4.4 not 5.x - is this available in a pre-V5.x PHP?

I'm not that experienced with PHP.What I can tell you is that the actual result you see is a multidimensional array with the results you want. If the query had returned a number of elements, each element's content would have been in a different key from the array. The problem is I don't know how to deal with multidimensional arrays.Yes, Simple XML is available in PHP5 by default too, and scince this worked for your PHP4 host, I guess it works there too.